How is this Heat Treating Your Plants?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Even indoors, my pepper plants have tiny flower buds. This July has been cool. Seeing all @Meadowlark 's great work really makes me want to escape to the country! A house with a view, a pond ... and lots and lots of veg growing ... Lovely good work, Meadowlark!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I have lived in Texas all my life and in 72 years I have never seen it like this. ….

Well, I got here as fast as I could 50 years ago and I've definitely seen it worse in terms of hot weather. I'll never forget one mid-September day driving by the local bank which was showing a temp of 107 degrees at 7 p.m. That's the worst summer heat I've seen and because it went on through September and into October, it was almost unbearable. . This summer is just average so far here in East Texas with highs about 100 deg. daily....however, it has forced me to look at A/C tractors. I have a lot of mowing/cutting and that A/C sure is tempting.

As long as we avoid a hurricane, I'm happy with summer days.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
This July has been cool.

That's two words that are never, ever used in the same sentence around here in East texas...."July" and "cool" :)

Thanks for your remarks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, I got here as fast as I could 50 years ago and I've definitely seen it worse in terms of hot weather. I'll never forget one mid-September day driving by the local bank which was showing a temp of 107 degrees at 7 p.m. That's the worst summer heat I've seen and because it went on through September and into October, it was almost unbearable. . This summer is just average so far here in East Texas with highs about 100 deg. daily....however, it has forced me to look at A/C tractors. I have a lot of mowing/cutting and that A/C sure is tempting.

As long as we avoid a hurricane, I'm happy with summer days.
Temperatures supposed to drop back into normal starting tomorrow, mid to high 90's. I have been through 3 hurricanes so I know what you mean, but Lord, I need the rain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What do they taste like please?
Individual leaves taste a lot like spinach, IMHO, but eating a bunch at once is somewhat bitter; however, according to this link https://www.vogue.com/article/moringa-new-superfood-to-know they say it tastes like matcha that has been spiked with notes of spirulina-like blue-green algae.

I eat it mixed with things like salads, soups, smoothies and it loses its taste, for the most part. The flowers are sweeter tasting. I understand the leaves make a nice tea, which I've yet to try.

The real benefit of Moringa are the health benefits, which are many, unless you're pregnant or breast feeding, in which case, as I understand it, you should not eat Moringa. Helps me recover from them long bike rides in this summer heat and comeback stronger the next day.

Here's just one link on the health benefits of Moringa: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...n fact, moringa is said,iron than spinach [1].

Excerpt:

Moringa oleifera belonging to the family of Moringaceae is an effective remedy for malnutrition. Moringa is rich in nutrition owing to the presence of a variety of essential phytochemicals present in its leaves, pods and seeds. In fact, moringa is said to provide 7 times more vitamin C than oranges, 10 times more vitamin A than carrots, 17 times more calcium than milk, 9 times more protein than yoghurt, 15 times more potassium than bananas and 25 times more iron than spinach [1]. The fact that moringa is easily cultivable makes it a sustainable remedy for malnutrition.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Are veg crops killed in this terrifying heat? I know mine wilt and those in pots just perish. How do you people keep them alive? I know peppers like heat, but there is an optimum temperature. What do you people do to keep them alive? What crops can survive such sunshine and heat and drought?

Thank you, roadrunner for the information. I had heard about this Morgina and it featured in an article about Africa. I was wondering if it was the same thing. I must try to see if I can find one to grow.

I know I might sound silly, but are there scientists trying to disscipate the force and power of hurricanes? Whenever I saw news of hurricane in the US, I often wondered why houses there are made of wood? Japanese have built houses to survive earthquakes. Are there any government guidelines on house building in vulnerable states?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
What crops can survive such sunshine and heat and drought?

See my post above...many crops not only survive but thrive. Few places on this planet have consistently higher temps and humidity than here in East Texas...and as illustrated in my photos produce in large amounts in the heat and humidity.

A couple of keys, IMO, are choosing the right plants, continuous soil building, and providing plenty of water.

It certainly can get too hot for us people to work the garden but many plants thrive and it is an especially good time to use summer cover crops to build your soil and prevent weeds.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Many flowers also thrive in heat and humidity...see the sunflowers growing on the edge of my garden. Many other flowers are thriving right now here on Meadowlark Ranch.

sunflowers.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Many flowers also thrive in heat and humidity...see the sunflowers growing on the edge of my garden. Many other flowers are thriving right now here on Meadowlark Ranch.

View attachment 68622
Glorious!

I have my first one - Teddy Bear! A dwarf one!
SAM_0329.JPG
SAM_0362.JPG

Same flower but today's photo.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very nice. Do you save the heads? The birds love them in winter.

I bought these seeds online and I always want to grow sunflower, but never like to stake them. These seeds are very cheap - about 100 for £2 or less. I liked this Teddy Bear as it's dwarf. I will collect some and leave some on the plants as I have about 8 of them dotted around. Hopefully, I can see birds eating from them. I love great and blue tits, long tail tits, and gold Finches. I hope I have teasels growing in my garden. After spending a fortune on fat balls, I have seen lots of tits flying very low, some even hopping around the ground. I really love that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I have planted tall Zinnias for a yard customer. I water them on a regular basis. On a day I would not be watering, some Zinnias are fine while others have droopy leaves. I water those with droopy leaves.

Ask a Question