How do you keep your gutters clean?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The leafs are falling from the trees which can cause a big problem with the gutters on the house. Every year we have a big problem with rain coming thru the window because the gutter is full of leaves.

How do you keep your gutters clean?

We purchased gutter guards but have not put them up yet, hope to get them up this year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I have a stiff plastic duster on an extendable pole, and I simply run it down the guttering until I come to the end, and the leaves all fall off the end of the gutter. The duster is a half-circle of stiff plastic "hairs". It's stiff enough to get the leaves moving, but not so stiff that it harms the gutters.
We had gutter guards at the previous house, and all they did was hold the leaves up and make it somewhat easier to sweep off, or to blast off with the hose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
My husband is diligent about keeping the gutters clean. He likes to get up on the roof every fall with a hose and blast out all the leaves and gunk out of the gutters. What he can't blast out he uses his hands to reach in grab out the large debris that's in the gutters. My mother had a gutter guard installed on her gutters which is perfect. She doesn't have to worry about her gutters at all, they do a fantastic job.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
My husband is diligent about keeping the gutters clean. He likes to get up on the roof every fall with a hose and blast out all the leaves and gunk out of the gutters. What he can't blast out he uses his hands to reach in grab out the large debris that's in the gutters. My mother had a gutter guard installed on her gutters which is perfect. She doesn't have to worry about her gutters at all, they do a fantastic job.

It's a job that I also leave up to my husband and like yours, he stays on top of it pretty well! He does the hose thing too and manually grabs out the rest if there's anything the hose won't budge. So far so good with that method!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have a mango tree so expect the leaves to clog the gutter in the roof. But our mango tree was felled by a typhoon last year so its leaves are not a problem anymore. But the tall bamboo grove is what's pestering our roof's gutter. The bamboo leaves are so thin and light that it flies. Right now we have places a screen to protect the gutter from filling up with bamboo leaves. But since the bamboo leaves are so small, it can insert itself in the screen's gap.

Reaction score
Our gardener who is helping my mother in maintaining the cleanliness and in taking care of our garden is the one who always clean our gutter. Every weekend he always climb up to the roof of our house to remove the leaves and other stuffs that is clogging our gutter. So that when it will rain it will not cause any problems. The cleaning is always scheduled every weekend and no need to remind our gardener and he knows it already.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have to hire someone to actually remove the leaves and dirt out of our gutters all around the house. We have many tree around our home, and when the wind kicks up, everything landed in there. I can't afford to buy the gutter guard and since I don't actually own this house, I will just get by with removing the dead debris!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
With 5 very big trees in the back the gutters get backed up quickly. I have seen one of those brushes with the long handle that can be use to push the leaves out of the gutter easily. I think before more leaves fall I will get the brush and maybe get the gutter guards up also. The heavy storms we had in the area last spring caused water damage inside the house because the gutters were clogged. I don't want that to happen next spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm lucky I guess I don't have cutters on my house, I have a metal roof and with the pitch of the roof the snow slide would rip the gutters off, you don't want to be standing under or near when the snow comes off its like a land slide half the snow will come off at one time :eek:

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I don't have so many leaves to be worried but we do have a lot of water (from rain) and dirt combined to drive me nuts. Lately the dirt built up is so much I am considering hiring someone to dig it down. So far I have not been able to find suitable solution to the dirt/water/ stone buildup. Apart from each times it rain to sweep out the dirt.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have gutter guards, but my house is surrounded by trees, so I still have to clean the gutters occasionally. I've found that simply using a hose with a pressure attachment works pretty well. It can be kind of tricky to balance on a ladder to do it though, so I'm glad I don't have to clean them that often.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you have to manually clean the gutters. My dad comes over a few times a year to help with this. He gets on a ladder and takes all the leaves and dirt out of the gutters. Otherwise he said it will get backed up.
I don't know of anything you can but off the top of my head that will help. It may be good to go to home depot and ask a sales associate.

Ask a Question