How do you control the bugs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Im wondering how you forum members get rid of plant eating pests. What is the least labourous way of getting rid of pests in your opinion? What methods work the best? What do you use if you have a large(ish) garden?

So far, I've seen caterpillars, whiteflies, aphids, Mites, and root maggots. I find myself coming outside and spraying everything once a week.

Spring is here now, which is bug breeding time. How do you plan on treating (or even preventing) your bug problems?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Our garden doesn't seem to suffer too much from annoying bugs, but we do have a lot of ladybirds so I think they keep things like aphids under control. Maybe try encouraging good bugs to your garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For some reason I have very few if any insect problems. I do have caterpillars off and on during the season. When I first built my garden I had every bug known to mankind. I think that by using only organic products is the secret by keeping the plants and more importantly the soil happy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Well, @CrazyConure , I see your from Miami, Fl. so how they are controlled down there is way different to how WE control them up here. First, due to our nice cold winters and freezes that helps keep the population down. Also have lots of birds, and bats that eat stuff, along with toads etc. Spraying--is quite a rarity, in fact, bug spraying, cannot recall when I last done it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I allow my garden to go wild, i.e. increase the biodiversity. That seems to keep the plant-eating critters at bay. I think what happens is that once you start a garden you provide a food source for many plant eaters, and so they come in and multiply, but there's a lag time between that and when the predators arrive and multiply. You gotta just have a little patience and wait. I remember losing a few plants in the beginning and wondering where all the ladybugs and other beneficials were; however, now, not only do I have plenty of them, but I also see a lot of their larvae, which look like little tanks. I've also seen quite a few eggs of the lacewing.

And there are some proactive steps you can take, such as adding a heavy layer of leaf mulch, which provides habitat for things like ladybugs and so many other types. And grow certain plants, such as Alyssum, which attracts parasitic wasps.

Your only other option is to keep spraying, which kills off the good and the bad, but the bad seem to somehow adapt and you need to keep changing the ingredients. And don't be fooled by the mindset some have that just because something is “natural” that it is safe. There are plenty of unsafe things in nature. I don't use anything in my garden, not even water to wash off the aphids.

But then again, I'm kind of a bug freak, so I like watching bugs at work, even some of the destructive types. Start reading up on them, and look for them as your little habitat zone becomes more diverse.

When I first started my garden I had a major infestation of slugs and snails -- they devoured all my hostas; I did nothing to combat them, but over time their numbers have greatly diminished. I think because I have attracted many predators, such as moles and other animals, such as ground beetles. I think many people automatically think of beetles as bad animals to have in the garden, but there are many beneficial beetles, not just the ladybug. Heavy mulches give them habitat. http://www.motherearthnews.com/orga...d-beetles-helpful-garden-insects-zw0z1301zkin

http://www.pacifichorticulture.org/articles/garden-allies-predaceous-ground-beetles/

More interesting reading... http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/beneficials/beneficial-25_long-legged_flies.htm

http://www.organiclandcare.org/free-education/plants-that-attract-beneficial-insects.html

http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/g...ould-actually-want-around-your-plants/slide/2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A good mixture of planting and going easy on the fertiliser I think helps combat the pests. I try to grow organically but the use of an insecticide now and then helps.:)
Too many people over feed their plants thus making them lush (and tasty). Better to feed the soil with organic fertilisers and mulches than to feed plants too much. Grow them hard.
Also to research your plants to find out what the likely pests will be...e.g. Lily beetle on lilies. Look out for their characteristic slime and rub out the pests before they do any damage. And companion planting, carrots and onions together can help deter carrot and onion flies. Tagetes with tomatoes too. And slugs, etc.? A nighttime vigil with torch and salt solution can drastically reduce their numbers ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Every spring I have to watch for those green Delphinium worms, they also get on my Sea Holly plant. Just giving them a squirt with dish soap and water works for me. I go after the Japanese Lily Beetle with Trounce. Aphids in the GH are killed with dish soap and water and outside I just hose the plants down good with a strong water spray. Those are my pests I have to deal with every spring and summer.

Ask a Question