How can I manage how many bees my garden attracts?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I really hope someone can give me some advice as to which kind of flowers bees are really not attracted to. I know bees are important to the environment but my baby girl is allergic to bug bites so I'm trying to do the best I can to keep her from getting stung by bees, ironically my daughter loves the outdoors and I love gardens any advice is really appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Clair, perhaps your little girl will outgrow that allergy. We keep bees and I have never seen a bee on Texas bluebonnets, ornamental grasses (they do have pollen, but bees don't seem attracted), artemesia, or geraniums.
There will be bees about, since they forage for three miles from their hive. Best to teach her to not swat, not wave her hands about, and leave the bees and other bugs to their own business.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, I've never been stung by a bee just doing their thing. I've been stung twice in my life. Once was when I stepped on the bee with no shoes on. The second time the bee had landed on my pregnant stomach and I put my hand on top of it and it landed on my stomach. Both times it stung were because I touched the bee in a threatening way, albeit accidental. You cannot much control bees if you would like flowers, but you can teach your little one to leave the bees alone and minimize her chances of ever getting stung. Also, talk to your doctor about allergy medications like epipens, benadryl, etc that can help in emergencies if needed. Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I think whatever a Bee can pollinate will be the flower and plant that they are attracted to. Its a shame that your baby is allergic but ask your nursery if they have anything to deter Bees they might do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much to everyone who replied I am going to take into consideration all the advice and ideas given and hopefully we can enjoy a beautiful garden soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Don't plant anything that flowers. However, it's not really realistic to think you can keep bees out of your yard. You can't control what your neighbors plant so the best thing is to either not have a garden or to keep your daughter indoors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Pretty much this. ^ Bees will roam wherever there's a viable source for them to gather, even dandelions/weeds that grown in lawns. The best thing you can do is make sure you have medication ready on hand just in case. Generally bees are pretty docile and as long she doesn't bother them, they won't bother her.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Wow! That could be a problem. You know that you can't really do anything about bees. It's built into them to go out everyday and do their thing. Maybe it's one of those things that she'll grow out of. Anyway, as others have said, talk to a doctor, benadryl and keep a good eye out for bugs. That's really sad that a kid can't go out and maybe a little extreme. You can always do the plastic flower thing but that takes the fun out of everything. Bummer. Hopefully someone here will find a solution and help you out. :unsure:

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
If the bees (such as leaf cutter bee) are destroying plants in your garden, use a pesticide to control them. However, if there is no crop destruction, use alternative protective measures to keep bees away from your garden to where they can benefit other plants. You can drill holes in an old log and place the log in your garden; this will help lure them away from your garden (maybe an old method but you can try). You can also make small boxes; place them in your garden where your daughter cannot reach (probably in the farthest corner). Boxes are more attractive and serve the same purpose of keeping the bees away. Plant beautiful and nice smelling flowers near the boxes to keep the bees glued to a specific safe area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If the bees (such as leaf cutter bee) are destroying plants in your garden, use a pesticide to control them. However, if there is no crop destruction, use alternative protective measures to keep bees away from your garden to where they can benefit other plants. You can drill holes in an old log and place the log in your garden; this will help lure them away from your garden (maybe an old method but you can try). You can also make small boxes; place them in your garden where your daughter cannot reach (probably in the farthest corner). Boxes are more attractive and serve the same purpose of keeping the bees away. Plant beautiful and nice smelling flowers near the boxes to keep the bees glued to a specific safe area.
Thank you so much these are very good ideas and I will definitely try some, I can't wait to see my daughter enjoying the outdoors.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
You can also try to inter-crop your plants with bee repellent plant species such as feverfew or ethryna fusca. There are more plant species available that can serve the same purpose. This can also keep the bees away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If the bees (such as leaf cutter bee) are destroying plants in your garden, use a pesticide to control them.

Please stop recommending the use of pesticides. There is more than enough poison in the soil/water table/world in general as it it. The bee population is in decline. If people can't learn to coexist with nature, then they need to stay indoors. There are far too many natural, organic, and eco-friendly ways to deal with garden issues without resorting to harmful chemicals.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
It is because of bees that we get oxygen and their honey is absolutely healthy and it has medicinal value to it. When you are sick, have a spoon of raw honey with a tsp of cinnamon and a dot of lemon juice this will cure a cold overnight!!
An interesting bit of info on Bees as they have so much value for life on Earth.

Ask a Question