Tips to manage the gardening junks?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Can someone share tips to manage the gardening junks? I’m worried and struggling to manage the junks to make my garden more beautiful. I don’t have enough space to bury all the junks. What I was planning is to rent a garbage bin from Junk It and put most of the junks in it. Will that be enough? What are the other ways?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Can you define "junks" here?
If you have worthless things you don't want in your garden, then throwing them away makes sense, yes.
Buy a box of 3 mil contractor bags, put trash in them, and dispose of them as you would any trash. :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your question does need to be a little clearer to get an answer, don't understand "junks".

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
By "junks" do you mean dead plants, weeds, trimmings? Or do you mean metal pieces, plastic things like soda bottles, and general trash? In the case of the plants/weeds/trimmings, start a compost pile. If you mean the metal/plastic/trash, bundle it up in garbage bags and dispose of it properly. Do not bury it! That will be a problem for future gardeners in that spot, and can cause problems for you, also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
We're lucky here in trash/junk of many varieties is able to be recycled - we have specific trash cans for burnable trash, recyclable bottles/glass, garden scraps (branches, leaves, etc) so it's not too difficult. Also around once a month they do a larger trash/junk collection where you can put anything you're wanting to get rid of on the side of the street and the local council collect it and dispose of it. Often when you put things out though on your curb, people take it before it gets collected by the council. One person's junk truly is another's treasure!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I see gardening junk on the curb I take it or a nice thing I think will look good in the garden as art I take it. I agree one persons junk is another persons treasurer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
My mantra (and I seldom use that word but I use it for this)

Only buy what you can use and always use what you buy (y)

When I got out and buy a bunch of gardening stuff be it plants, seeds, decorative, mulch, fertilizer.... it needs to be used with a week. I used to buy stuff and it would sit around and sometimes end up unused, dead, dried up.... Using that mantra will also help you be more productive and get what you want to done.

Seeds get started
Plants get planted
Decorations get placed
Mulch gets spread
Irrigation get fixed or upgraded
Fertilizer gets applied

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Boy I read that wrong :eek:

To the OP's point I rent a dumpster every year or two and get ride of the junk (old patio furniture - cushions, large packaging I had not disposed of, broken tools, bits and pieces of stuff, old or broken down pet cages or crates) Junk :). I also plan any serious long needed pruning about the same time.

All goes into the dumpster.

I get it now ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Boy I read that wrong :eek:

To the OP's point I rent a dumpster every year or two and get ride of the junk (old patio furniture - cushions, large packaging I had not disposed of, broken tools, bits and pieces of stuff, old or broken down pet cages or crates) Junk :). I also plan any serious long needed pruning about the same time.

All goes into the dumpster.

I get it now ;)

I no longer rent a dumpster, I found if I set stuff I no longer want or can use out on the curb and put a free sign on it its gone with in 2 or 3 hrs. :) my junks turns in to some one else's treasure!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
after all this, still have not heard from the originator of the question.

The op is in Canada and there's a Canadian dumpster rental company called J unk I t that was mentioned in the first post (Misspelling intentional on my part) so as I first suspected, this is clearly just a lame attempt to improve Google rankings for that company.

I'll report it to our hardworking moderators. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The op is in Canada and there's a Canadian dumpster rental company called J unk I t that was mentioned in the first post (Misspelling intentional on my part) so as I first suspected, this is clearly just a lame attempt to improve Google rankings for that company.

I'll report it to our hardworking moderators. :)

Ta for the report Beth (y) I can't find any evidence that this is a spammer, it may just be someone who lives in Canada asking about the company. I'll keep an eye on things ;)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well the person may not have been for real but we did get some good ideas on how others handle their junk in the yard. I have an old grill that works fine just replaced it with a large model to put out or take it to the Goodwill either way it will be gone soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
after all this, still have not heard from the originator of the question.
not sure the confusion, I just simply made and observation that the person never came back to chime in to all the stuff people are saying. (other than I).

And as far as how I handle my "trash", "junk" . really think that is a location specific issue---example, live in the city, versus live in the country etc. And its a metropolitan issue.

Ask a Question