How Big Is Your Vegetable Garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
2 plots, 16x24 and 16x12. The larger is raised, smaller is ground level. Fencing is inadequate on both, dogs being the biggest problem. I plan to rectify that next year if lumber prices come back to reality.

2 sides of the lower plot are potatoes, one side tomato. In the center rows are cabbage, broccoli, peppers and turnip. A few tomatoes also in those rows.

Upper plot is tomatoes and onions around the perimeter, one row is pickles on a trellis and cabbage and broccoli. One row garlic, peppers, zucchini and a few tomatoes. One row beets, parsnips, carrots, parsley and cilantro and some cabbage. A few more tomatoes.

I'm being overrun with tomatoes, purchased about 30 to 35 plants to start. Found 24 random growing from last years unharvested plants. So about 60 all together.

I've been working on soil building the entire time, mostly because our soil is mostly clay. Over the years I've brought in several tons of sand and manure. This year I've been adding leaves and grass clipping. I need to add something to help loosen the soil and am planning to bring in a trailer full of woodchips.

I do limited crop rotation but thoroughly till and mix the soil each year.

I need to figure something out for chickweed, my most bountiful crop.

Ask a Question