How beneficial is the aloe gel supplied directly from the plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My family uses aloe plant to treat burn, insect bites, and sun burn! My mom even cooked the stalks to make soup. It is one of the plants that many people I knew kept in their house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The gel directly from the plant is fantastic! I worked in a restaurant where we kept an aloe plant on hand for burns and used the plant instead of what we kept in the first aid kit.

Reaction score
It depends. If it comes from a very mature and big plant, then it will definitely help. If it comes from a tiny plant with tiny leaves, then it might not be as good. The gel from this plant is great for many things, not only burns, but also great for the hair! If mixed with your shampoo it will leave your hair super soft.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The gel is also excellent as a facial moisturizer. My skin get's really oily in the summer so I can't put on much facial lotion but Aloe Vera is perfect. I just cut open a leaf and rub the gel all over my face and I'm good to go! It makes my skin very soft too. Not only that but it's excellent for treating burns and even rashes sometimes. It can also be added directly to drinks. Try making an Aloe smoothie in the summer and you'll end up feeling way more hydrated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I know inner gel sap should be used after separating from its green outer covering.

I heard that outer layer may be toxic, not sure though.

Better safe than sorry!

Please correct me, if I am wrong!

Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I know inner gel sap should be used after separating from its green outer covering.

I heard that outer layer may be toxic, not sure though.

Better safe than sorry!

Please correct me, if I am wrong!

Thank you!
Aloes have a resin under the leaf before the gel, it is yellow in appearance, I think thats what you're talking about. It is not toxic, but it is a resin and should be avoided if you have a resin allergy. It also can cause minor skin irritation in people without a resin allergy. I have handled it with bare hands to no ill effect

Ask a Question