Beneficial Plant Question

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I plant my tomatoes in buckets and plant beneficial companion plants near them is it the same benefit as if the tomotoes were planted in the ground?

Also, what do you recommend?
1) tomatoes in bucket with cage
2) tomotoes in ground with cage

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Some yes, some no.

If they're nutritionally beneficial, then the answer's no, but, since you use tomatoes as an example, marigolds planted near them will still deter whitefly, because it's the smell of marigolds that they don't like.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Some yes, some no.

If they're nutritionally beneficial, then the answer's no, but, since you use tomatoes as an example, marigolds planted near them will still deter whitefly, because it's the smell of marigolds that they don't like.
I have found them to be absolute magic in my greenhouses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I used caged for in the ground and I use cages in pots. Now I am restricted to growing just in my GH. And finally last year, after several years of a lot of blossom end rot, I managed to adjusted my feeding routine, adding lot's of calcium and increased the pot size to where I only had a few fruit with the rot. Go as big as you can with the pot size.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Piedmont
Country
United States
I plant basil with my tomatoes. Also marigolds and nasturtiums are my regular bed edging.

Ask a Question