How beneficial is the aloe gel supplied directly from the plant?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have heard really good things about the aloe vera plant, and was just curious how much is relevant to the gel that comes directly from the plant. Is it only beneficial once it has been modified in a factory, or are all of its natural remedies a result of the plant directly? Just want to make sure I am getting my facts straight in thinking that the plant gel would be more effective than the factory-modified stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have heard really good things about the aloe vera plant, and was just curious how much is relevant to the gel that comes directly from the plant. Is it only beneficial once it has been modified in a factory, or are all of its natural remedies a result of the plant directly? Just want to make sure I am getting my facts straight in thinking that the plant gel would be more effective than the factory-modified stuff.
Its good on burns and semi-good on mosquito bites

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have used the gel from the plant on burns which did give me relief. I use the store purchased juice for stomach issues. It is a product I try to keep on hand because you never know when you will need it.

Reaction score
Cutting open a leaf is the absolute most ideal way to use aloe gel. I know of several people who have experience with using a plant and with using store bought aloe vera gel and they all say there is no comparison, the plant does more for the skin than any store bought product. If you have the option to have your own plant, I would say don't bother buying the stuff at all. The fresh from the leaf gel will dramatically speed healing of burns and sunburns as well as other skin irritations, far more than any store bought product ever will.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Good to know! I have recently acquired an aloe vera plant and am now convinced that I won't be rubbing the gel onto my skin with no effect! Thanks for all the replies, they were very informative :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I used both store-bought and natural aloe vera gel and, to be honest, I don't see any difference between them. They all work great!
If you decide to buy aloe gel, choose the one that doesn't contain preservatives or other chemicals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's very beneficial! You can use it for burns, cuts, insect bites, sunburn... some people make their own juice or put it in the blender for a smoothie like drink. You want to be sure you're just getting the gel though. Older "leaves" sometimes have a runny yellow liquid when you cut into them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I always question the aloe gel that you buy at the store because it looks just like styling gel. I wonder how much aloe is really in it. I would much more prefer to cut open a leaf and extract the gel, but when I have a bad sunburn I am really not that picky. if you store the gel in your refridgerator before applying it to the burn, it feels even more soothing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I actually prefer aloe gel directly from the plant. I used to work in a restaurant where we grew an aloe plant in the kitchen specifically for burns. We had a first aid kit, but we always used the plant. I am actually about to start growing some in my own kitchen because I am constantly burning myself. I'm hoping I can keep it alive.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We have an aloe plant growing in our office and often people will cut a bit of it off to harvest the gel. This is especially true in the summer seasons when people want to treat their sunburns and their bug bites. I'm not sure how much more effective it is compared to store-bought gels, but it certainly provides soothing relief fairly quickly. It may stain your skin for a short while though!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I have an aloe vera plant and it is so resilient. I have been so abususive and neglectful to it and it grows. When me or a family member have a skin condition it is healing and so much more potent than any of the store bought versions. I am grateful to have it and in the right conditions it will multiply like CRAZY!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I need to find out more about the plants as it sounds like it would be a good idea to have one here for emergencies. My problem is that I'm seriously short of space and have to think long and hard before buying any new plants. What are its requirements with regard to light and where it lives?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can definitely see the benefits of having this p,ant around, especially in the kitchen. As a cook, I've had my fair share of burns and would rather a natural remedy to any store bought medicines. I've never really seen an aloe plant that I was crazy over (aesthetically) but I will be looking out for one now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have aloe vera since 2001and we seldom use it. My husband planted it on the idea that it can give me a thick crop of hair (I have thinning hair that is due to the maintenance medication for my high blood pressure). But it turned out that aloe vera doesn't do anything about the hair. In fairness, it is good as salve for burns because it is a succulent that is naturally cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
What are its requirements with regard to light and where it lives?

It's very tough as an indoor plant. Just stick it in a pot, keep it on a window sill (preferably kitchen as you use it for burns) and water occasionally.

Aloe
2b7286fb8d892f80ef01137a014342a4db4899f8.jpg
Common Name: Aloe
Genus: Aloe
Species: vera
Skill Level: Beginner
Exposure: Full sun
Hardiness: Tender
Soil type: Well-drained/light
Height: 60cm
Time to divide plants: June to August

This easy-to-grow succulent forms dense clumps of fleshy, light green leaves with soft toothed margins. Spikes of tubular yellow to orange flowers appear in summer, but rarely in the UK. It is best grown as a houseplant in the UK. Grow in a mixture of loam-based John Innes No 2 compost with additional sand or perlite for increased drainage. Apply a balanced liquid feed during the growing season and reduce watering in the winter. It should be kept at a temperature no lower than 10 degrees C. It has been given an Award of Garden Merit (AGM), which is for plants of outstanding excellence.

Ask a Question