How About a Bird Bath?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
OK, so now both @CanadianLori and @Esther Knapicius have brought up solar fountains, which was something I looked into earlier this year. Do either of you have any tips for buying a good one, or brand names to share?
My solar fountain is the one that is the lily pad, its easy, no real brand name, that is what it is called you just google for it "solar lily pad" and it comes up. I have two of them. Use a big pot for them, fill it with water and float it and it works, easy dose it. They seem to last for about 3 years.

BTW, have cats, so having a bird bath near the deck, not a good idea, as that is where the cats live. But with the creek down in the valley and the bird feeders positioned there all is well .

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Esther Knapicius Yeah I guess having cats would make having a bird bath a lot more interesting. As much as cats supposedly don't like water I imagine the temptation of several birds just relaxed and playing up a storm would be worth a cat falling into the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I have a birdbath in the garden and the small pool I use for my water turtle. The birds seem to enjoy both of these I have really tried to make my property friendly for birds, I think a naturalized habitat is important for anything that wants to make a home in my small plot of earth. I do get a kick of the birds though, they seem to enjoy taking these little dust baths. I never really understood this, but I guess it keeps the oil off wings? Or repels mites or something? At least that is what I was told once.

Every morning there is a colony of sparrows that will line up on my rear roof to watch me off for work. They really are sweet little birds. They have figured out that they can see me thru the window on the one side of the house, I will often be at the desk and look up to see one perched right outside the window staring in. I don't feed them but do have berries they like that grow near this area. I think they are just curious. I wonder if birds know a human by it's smell? They never seem upset if it is me in the area, but they can carry on if it is someone else in the yard.

Reaction score
I find it odd for the bird baths to be outdated. I always found them beautiful, especially when the birds were openly participating. I think having a bird bath on my lawn would be a wonderful idea. I haven't even thought about bird baths in many years, so it was a pleasant reminder when seeing this post. This is definitely something I'm going to consider.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I find it odd for the bird baths to be outdated. I always found them beautiful, especially when the birds were openly participating. I think having a bird bath on my lawn would be a wonderful idea. I haven't even thought about bird baths in many years, so it was a pleasant reminder when seeing this post. This is definitely something I'm going to consider.

Yeah it also struck me as odd they became outdated because we wouldnt have to cath the birds or purchase at a pet store. We just provide the bath and they come freely and entertain us. Some birds actually remember the area and keep coming back. I always thought a bird bath could easily lead to other great ideas like feeders that would bring dozens of birds daily to our front or backyards. Maybe it's the 'Yuck' factor as pointed out earlier. Thanks @marlingardener for hitting that nail on the head;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I must admit I've gotten over the "yuck" factor since we started keeping chickens. Nothing like cleaning a 14 chicken coop daily to cure the yucks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
You sure said it again @marlingardener. That's a perfect daily cure right there, bringing chickens on board. Sounds like you're well organic. It would be sure nice getting some tips from you. I'll be looking out for your commentary on a regular basis.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a birdbath in the garden and the small pool I use for my water turtle. The birds seem to enjoy both of these I have really tried to make my property friendly for birds, I think a naturalized habitat is important for anything that wants to make a home in my small plot of earth. I do get a kick of the birds though, they seem to enjoy taking these little dust baths. I never really understood this, but I guess it keeps the oil off wings? Or repels mites or something? At least that is what I was told once.

Every morning there is a colony of sparrows that will line up on my rear roof to watch me off for work. They really are sweet little birds. They have figured out that they can see me thru the window on the one side of the house, I will often be at the desk and look up to see one perched right outside the window staring in. I don't feed them but do have berries they like that grow near this area. I think they are just curious. I wonder if birds know a human by it's smell? They never seem upset if it is me in the area, but they can carry on if it is someone else in the yard.

I have lots of chickadees and I have read they are very easily tamed. Certainly the ones that come to my feeders are used to me; I haven't made any effort to get them tame but they are the only ones that will come within a couple of feet while I am refilling feeders. I think birds are more visual than relying on a sense of smell.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
That is the best way of attracting birds. You can put grains besides the bird bath to attract more birds. I like watching birds when they play outside my house. I know it won't cost much to construct one. I am also thinking about having a bird bath behind my house.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have one on the deck in a corner. I saw a few birds the other day drinking from the bird bath. I was surprised to see the birds there, I didn't realized the birdbath was being used by the birds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yea once it's set up and they know about it they will keep coming back. I know some birds will travel really far to get food and come home to nesting sites in the evening time. Once they get familiar with water being at your birdbath they tend to keep coming back, and they tell their little friends too. I love the idea bout leaving some seeds nearby because if you love seeing birds in free range, bird food will keep your yard pretty filled up with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I had no clue they were considered outdated! Not in my area. I had a very large diving swimming pool and the birds would come and sit on the cool deck or plop themselves onto the floater. I enjoyed watching them. But, I got tired of the maintenance for the pool and so, after 17 years, I had it demolished. In it's place I put a 24 inch tall cement bird bath. I placed a Water Wiggler in the middle to keep the mosquitoes from breeding, and also three small copper tubes to prevent algae buildup during the summer months.

The birds love the bath. I must say thought there seems to be a certain time of the year when less birds come around. I live in the desert southwest and I was told the birds that are indigenous to the area do not migrate. My neighbor has had a bird bath up in his front yard for 10 years and stated, the birds seem to come around for periods of time and then they disappear for a while. The most birds I have had at one time was five. Four little birds inside bathing away and one propped up on the side watching.

I have two Chihuahuas that go in and out through their doggy door. When they are outside they pay no attention to the birds, so that's a good thing, and the birds don't seem to mind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4ish so they say..?
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3 bird baths in the garden, 1 is actually in the lawn next to a small plum tree which most of the birds splash around in, it is quite an old stone bath. The second is up on the patio which again is popular with the birds and is a cheap galvanised metal one, the other is in the floor bed quite high up on a pole which the Greater Spotted Woodpecker likes to drink form as he is a bit skittish and won't go in the others.. Although the Squirrel seems to enjoy it too,

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is an old post, but I just thought I'd mention that bird baths have been sold commercially since the 1840s and are still going strong. I'd say that if you don't find one you'd like to buy, there are lots of instructions online on how to make one. That way, you get exactly the bird bath you want, and it will be safe of the birds.

Ask a Question