How About a Bird Bath?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know it's kind of outdated, but a bird bath on the lawn used to be a real winner. It would be lots of fun just seeing birds fluttering around in the water and playing up a storm, right there in your front or backyard garden/lawn. Some birds would mark the spot and come back everyday at about the same time, so a kind of distant relationship would be built. Usually we'd have it smack in the middle, but then the trend got pushed to a cozy corner that's not so obvious. We hardly see them now. What do you think about having a bird bath on your lawn?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have three--one in the middle of a backyard flower bed, one on the edge of another backyard bed, and one in the front, just outside our bedroom window. I must admit I'm not too crazy about cleaning them out, but the enjoyment we get from watching the birds outweighs the "yuck" factor!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Well, funny you should mention bird baths arthnel! I love them, have 2 and have another one on order. I too am not keen on the cleaning, marlingardener, and have moved one to a spot where it won't be such a chore, closer to the hose. My new one too will be positioned similarly so I hope I'll be more diligent in the cleaning as I really want to birds to use them. It is important here in a hot summer. My friend has a bird bath positioned near her outside table in which kookaburras, parrots, lorikeets and magpies bathe. So close sometimes she is splashed by them!!!:ROFLMAO: It's wonderful.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I could just imagine those magpies taking over the whole show @DeborahJane . But it sure must be nice lunching, having a nice chat or just relaxing in your garden and watching these birds just having fun splashing around. You already have two and one on order, so you're pretty much all set and know exactly what the feeling is to help entertain these feathered folk. @marlingardener You can tell DeborahJane and I aren't too keen on the cleaning part either:cautious:. We know it's gotta be done but , like you said so well, the fun outweighs the 'Yuck' factor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I don't have one here, but my granny used to have one at her house and I remember it fondly when I was growing up. I used to love seeing the birds sitting on the edge, having a dip and all that stuff! She also had a couple of bird houses hanging up with bird feed -- quite the bird lover, she was! If I could find one that fit with my yard décor style I wouldn't mind getting one if the price was right!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have one in my front yard! It's just one of those plain cast concrete jobs and I clean it by blasting it with the hose. Mostly the mourning doves use it...I have a lot of birds because I feed them year around but don't get much bird bath activity. But I live in an area with ample rain, nearby lakes and rivers and swamps, so I guess the local birds have more "natural" options for their drinking and bathing needs. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Beth, we have a one acre pond, and all the farms down the road have ponds (stock tanks, since that is what they are intended for). Birds will go to and use the easiest options, which are the bird baths/waterers that humans put up, fill, and clean. They pretty much ignore the ponds.
Birds are not nearly as dumb as we think they are . . . .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have 3 bird baths, two in back and one out front under the Japanese Maple, I enjoy sitting out back or on the front porch and watching the birds play in the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We are actually planning a bird bath. It just so happened that we were so busy in the past weeks. My husband noticed the birds seeming to play in the small trees when he would water the plants in the afternoon. There was even a time that the birds seemed to like the splashing water from the hose. And then we remembered the bird bath which is not common here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A bird bath is encourage in our area, even in winter! If you could put one in your yard, you will enjoy watching the birds coming for bath time. I put out a home made bird bath in the summer and love watching all kind of different birds coming for a drink or just diving in there for a quick dip!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I had one years ago. Found it was extra work, to keep the water clean etc. and cleaning the dish. Have enough to do with all the gardenssss and my job outside the home, and home stuff. etc. and traveling, So it came off my list, and gave it away. We have a running creek at the bottom of our property for them anyway to use. But a few years later I discovered solar fountains, and installed them down further in our valley garden, a much better use of my time, and it brought me more enjoyment seeing the fountain spray its water up and hear the noise as I am sitting in down by the gazebo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think it's wonderful, I'll buy a bird bath as soon as I have a garden or a bigger balcony. Birds are so sweet and cute, it must be a lot of fun to see them visiting your place every day. I'd love to be able to do it too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
In the winter months the many bird feeders and suet containers are kept well stocked. Even if I have to put on the knee high boots and walk through 28 inches of snow to the feeder to keep them full.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have one throughout the summer. I use a solar panel and pond pump to keep it from attracting bugs. The birds have fun and since it's on my deck rail, it's close enough for me to get a nice gander at the birds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
OK, so now both @CanadianLori and @Esther Knapicius have brought up solar fountains, which was something I looked into earlier this year. Do either of you have any tips for buying a good one, or brand names to share?

I'm diligent about feeding birds, especially in winter. Have thistle, suet cakes and mixed seed. It's all right in front of my house, under the big evergreen, which provides some protection from our neighborhood hawk...then again the hawk needs to eat too and she likes birds apparently. She gets them occasionally. :(

Ask a Question