House From Foreclosure Auction. Backyard proves it!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, mediabloke!

You could measure the area and draw it out. Then sit in the garden to write down the aspects of various areas north, east, south, west and write down how many hours of sunlight each area receives.

You can find out the drainage of the area by digging 1 foot deep holes and pour water into them to see how fast they drain. Then establish the soil type - clay, sand, loam or chalk. You more or less have to get rid of the violets which have quite deep roots. There are quite a few area of weeds there, so you might think about what you want to do with certain area. If you want to grow veg, you could try to avoid using weedkillers. Probably just focus on your favorite area first rather than trying to tackle the whole plot. It should be an enjoyable experience. Also walk around to see what thrives in your area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States

If you want to grow veg, you could try to avoid using weedkillers. Probably just focus on your favorite area first rather than trying to tackle the whole plot. It should be an enjoyable experience. Also walk around to see what thrives in your area.

Thanks! My kids are all under the age of 5, so nothing other than grass for the next decade or so. When they're old enough to appreciate the process, I'll start involving them, and they'll be less inclined to destroy what they helped build. Until then, it's grass only

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What does that mean? Let it grow wild? I moved out of the city so my kids could have a yard. I can't let them run around in this mess. They'll find enough ways to hurt themselves playing without me giving them the extra boost...

No ones saying you can't have a yard. You can have a typical lawn as well as a native garden design incorporated. Plus, I assure you, Common Blue Violet will not harm your kids. Certainly your yard needs work, but keeping some nature in it with native plants will help teach your kids to respect nature as they get older. I had a blast playing in nature as a kid. Wouldn't be who I am today if I didn't have that in my life as a kid. Thankful my yard was not just grass as a kid.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

You could measure the area and draw it out. Then sit in the garden to write down the aspects of various areas north, east, south, west and write down how many hours of sunlight each area receives.

You can find out the drainage of the area by digging 1 foot deep holes and pour water into them to see how fast they drain. Then establish the soil type - clay, sand, loam or chalk. You more or less have to get rid of the violets which have quite deep roots. There are quite a few area of weeds there, so you might think about what you want to do with certain area. If you want to grow veg, you could try to avoid using weedkillers. Probably just focus on your favorite area first rather than trying to tackle the whole plot. It should be an enjoyable experience. Also walk around to see what thrives in your area.

That's a shame. When they are that age, they are more malleable and they will pick up any gardening skill easily. Are they all boys? Well, you're a bloke and so blame you! LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You could follow the solarisation route and put heavy duty to cover all the weeds and over time, the lack of light will kill them. A quicker way would be to weed them with hand fork, but it will take a lot of time and effort. You could just get rid of the leaves roughly and solarise it asap. It will speed up the process. It' also a good time to find out the soil type. You don't want your kids to play on a slippery clay grassed area with bald patches. It's extremely dangerous. Do you know the soil type please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
You could follow the solarisation route and put heavy duty to cover all the weeds and over time, the lack of light will kill them. A quicker way would be to weed them with hand fork, but it will take a lot of time and effort. You could just get rid of the leaves roughly and solarise it asap. It will speed up the process. It' also a good time to find out the soil type. You don't want your kids to play on a slippery clay grassed area with bald patches. It's extremely dangerous. Do you know the soil type please?

I don't. I didn't grow up with any of this. How would I find out the soil type?

Also, there was a lot of garbage that I've cleaned out (plastic etc), but there's a lot of hardened cement and plaster in a few areas. How can I get rid of hit?
Just heavy duty garbage bags and take it to a construction garbage dumping area?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is not the lack of light that makes solarization work. Its the heat. The summer heat in Pa is much higher than in Essex.
I don't. I didn't grow up with any of this. How would I find out the soil type?

Also, there was a lot of garbage that I've cleaned out (plastic etc), but there's a lot of hardened cement and plaster in a few areas. How can I get rid of hit?
Just heavy duty garbage bags and take it to a construction garbage dumping area?
What I would do is get a wheelbarrow, a rake, a shovel and rent a dumpster. As for soil type take a little of it to the nursery and ask them at the same time you ask about grass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
What I would do is get a wheelbarrow, a rake, a shovel and rent a dumpster. As for soil type take a little of it to the nursery and ask them at the same time you ask about grass.

Sounds like a plan. I have most of those things already. I've been yardsale shopping.

I found someone moving back to europe who gave me a gas powered lawn mower, and a plugin weed whacker, plug in leaf blower, plugin hedge trimmer and a hose/sprinkler, as well as a nice big rake for $100!

I got the shovel from someone else, and I may even have a wheelbarrow from when my house was under construction.

As far as a dumpster, it's not nearly enough for one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B/7A
Country
United States
I wouldn't assume your boys will destroy anything you plant; I have seven kids ages 1-14 including four boys--they've never destroyed anything alive in the yard unless I tell them too! They love all the fruit trees, berries, and vegetables we grow--especially stuff they can pick and eat out of hand.

Get them involved in gardening--let them help you pick and and take care of some plants. Best thing in the world for kids.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I wouldn't assume your boys will destroy anything you plant; I have seven kids ages 1-14 including four boys--they've never destroyed anything alive in the yard unless I tell them too! They love all the fruit trees, berries, and vegetables we grow--especially stuff they can pick and eat out of hand.

Get them involved in gardening--let them help you pick and and take care of some plants. Best thing in the world for kids.

They watch me (the 4 year old and 2 year old that is, the baby doesn't seem to care). The trouble is, I have no idea what to teach them. These aren't things I know that I can teach. I've never dealt with any of this before.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
mediabloke, do you want grass without weeds simply as a new homeowner, because NO WEEDS!!! Or are you ok with leaving weeds as long as it looks ok and the boys can run in it? :confused: To my eye, pictures # 4, 6, and 8 look like they're ready to be run on, and I would leave them be. Maybe #4 has a few patches to fill in, but the others just need mowed. (y)

Are you interested in having some nice plants, maybe along the perimeter of the yard? Or teaching your kids to grow things - it looks like you have space for a small vegetable garden. And kids are more likely to eat them if they help grow them. :sneaky: (y)

They watch me (the 4 year old and 2 year old that is, the baby doesn't seem to care). The trouble is, I have no idea what to teach them. These aren't things I know that I can teach. I've never dealt with any of this before.

You have found the forum, we can help you grow a nice border or some tomatoes or other veggies. Four years old is old enough to understand growing food and flowers, and I assume the two year old will not be left unattended. :unsure:

If it is not your interest, that's ok, you'll still get help with NO WEEDS!! (y)

But "Brand new gardener with brand new yard" has gotten us "fruit and flower" people ALL excited!! :woot: :ROFLMAO:

I see mostly weeds but also worthwhile plants.

Chuck, what do you see in there? :confused:

Ask a Question