Homemade Hardwood Bark Mulch

Reaction score
We've got a few flower beds around our house. (Wife would like to put more in, but that's a different thread). Anyways, almost 2 years ago, we got some cyprus mulch that was still holding up pretty well this summer, so we didn't get any new mulch this year. I coulda got some bulk hardwood bark mulch at cost from work, but we figured that it wasn't a big deal. Since I'm laid off now, and since we burn firewood in the winter, I figured taking a little time to use a hatcher and strip the bark off and toss it on the beds wouldn't be a big deal and would save us a little money come spring. So far I've got most of 1 (of 4 beds) already covered. I don't like locust trees on their own, but I've found they've got really thick bark (which makes more mulch) that comes off pretty easily, even when not seasoned.

Anybody else ever try this or am I the only broke hillbilly on this forum? Lol. Anybody got any ideas or thoughts on this? Pros or cons compared to buying pre-made mulch?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good idea :)

I take it the bark is seasoned if the wood is destined for firewood?

Reaction score
Most of it is not, unfortunately... Didn't get to cutting wood 'til late this year, so I'm trying to mix the new wood with the leftover from last year and let it burn good and hot to dry it out before closing the flu. I have found that the bark off the seasoned wood generally is easier to strip off than green wood, though.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Keep an eye on the PH then, might not be a problem but fresh bark can affect some of the plants with regard to the amount of tannin in it.

The bark sold for mulch is usually composted first.

Also, watch the Chimney if you're using unseasoned wood, I had a chimney fire last winter.

Reaction score
Yeah, I know I need to watch the chimney. Thanks for the reminder, though. Like I said, that's why I mix the seasoned with the unseasoned and make sure to get a good hot fire going and try to wait for the black smoke to stop the bbefore I close the stove down. A house just about a mile and a half up the road had a chimney fire and burned up a couple weeks ago... Was your fire bad?

The place we get bark mulch from for work chipped up new mulch in the middle of summer because they were running low and I couldn't tell any difference between the new and old. Granted, they have a big piled that is nice and moist in the middle, which helps it compost faster than being spread out on the flower beds...

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No, managed to shut the fire down and then hose the roof with water as a precaution. Was like a rocket going off though :eek:

What I should have done was to lob salt onto the fire, would have doused the flames.

Reaction score
Glad it wasn't any worse. My dad had one many years ago. Got put out by a fireman with an extinguisher, but wasn't near as bad as it coulda been.

Dumped some ashes on the bark mulch that I have spread out on the one flower bed this morning. Figure that should help out quite a bit with the acidic concern.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
After I dumped some ashes around the rose bush the other day, I realized that was probably a mistake, so I oughta throw some extra bark around there, since, IIRC, roses like a little more acidic soil, don't they? Or now that I think on it a bit more, I was thinking or Azaelas, Rhodys, and such...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I like using the bark off firewood for mulch. The large pieces take longer to decompose and I think they look great in the beds.

Years ago we bought chimney brushes and the pole extensions for running the brush up and down the chimney. If your roof isn't too steep it's a pretty easy job. Thought I was getting too old and fat to get up on the roof and clean the chimney until I paid some idiots to do the job. Convinced me I have a few more years of doing the job.

Reaction score
The bark off seasoned wood comes off a lot easier than unseasoned. I prolly won't do the full beds again, though (unless I'm laid off for 3 months again, which is very likely if I don't find a job other than landscaping. Takes a bit of time (that I could otherwise spend with the wife and kid) to strip the bark and break it up.

I need to get a chimney brush...

Ask a Question