Homemade compost

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, I have 20 chickens and I'm wondering is there any way I can enhance the mess they make to make it an amazing fertilizer if anyone has any suggestions I'm open for them. I've tried mixing the mess they make with water and pouring it into the garden but it didn't seem enhance the growth of my plants this year. So if anybody has a home made fertilizer recipe I'll try it out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey guys, I have 20 chickens and I'm wondering is there any way I can enhance the mess they make to make it an amazing fertilizer if anyone has any suggestions I'm open for them. I've tried mixing the mess they make with water and pouring it into the garden but it didn't seem enhance the growth of my plants this year. So if anybody has a home made fertilizer recipe I'll try it out.
Rake up your DRIED chicken manure and mix it with other organic mater like weeds, leaves, grass clippings, kitchen vegetable scraps, even some dirt from your garden. Keep it moist but not wet and let it compost. Take a couple of cups of this compost and put it in an old sock or something and put it in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Get an aquarium air pump and airstone and aerate the water. Add about 2 oz of molasses and let it bubble for 2 or 3 days. Using chicken manure you might want to dilute the bucket of the compost tea you have just made. Then water your plants with this mixture and run like mad because your plants will grow so fast won't believe it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Joe B, we have chickens also, and they add quite a lot to the compost pile. During the warm months I just add the coop cleanings to the compost pile, and let it rot down with the vegetable peels, smashed egg shells, and weedings. After six months, it's ready to spread on the garden.
During the winter, I just spread the coop cleanings over a fallow part of the garden, and let it "sheet compost." Then in the spring the grass clippings/chicken manure is tilled in, and we plant.
Your hens don't make a "mess", they make a great fertilizer if it's given the time to let it compost.

Ask a Question