Home made saw table.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a member of a number of forums and each has its own rules; one of the forums a vintage radio/TV forum has moderators who behave like wheel clampers on speed jumping on grammar and spelling mistakes; another forum of which I was a very active member covered all aspects of DIY and I liked this forum a lot; unfortunately moderation was virtually extinct and swearing and back stabbing became too bad for me to tolerate and I'll never support any forum where such conduct is allowed to run free so I walked away from the DIY forum; I'm still a member because I made a number of friends and on occasion I'll receive a request for information to which I always respond.

Having now broken free of all the household renovations after 30 years I'm now concentrating on our gardens which is going to be another big and long job; I've already done lots of work in the gardens felling trees up to 80' tall etc but not being a gardener and having few gardening skills I browsed the web looking for a suitable gardening forum to join where I could ask even the most basic questions and I think in fact I'm sure I've picked a very good gardening forum in this one and already I've been made most welcome and I feel at home putting down a few roots.

I expected this forum to be strictly gardening topics but with welcome encouragement from Ian and also a request from BigC regarding how to add a substantial fence to his table saw I don't mind in the least adding stories of many of my assorted restorations in the hope of encouraging others to think before they discard tools or machines just because these are damaged in some way; my tools and machines are related to gardening because I use them every day and they are a big part of my life; I've only just built a garden hut and cold frame from scratch; my big petrol hedge trimmer and 20" chainsaw come in for a lot of work; I also have a nice big Bosch garden shredder and 120 bar pressure washer so tools and machinery are very important especially when it comes to removing lots of hard work and time saving. So with all the preamble out of the way and begging your indulgence I'll start by describing my most recent machine design and build it being a saw bench; I have a well equipped workshop covering both metal/woodwork.

For many years I've always garaged our car but last year fed up of cleaning and drying the car each time it was pulled out of the garage I decided to let the car sleep out; this meant we could also buy a bigger car so we bought a new Skoda Yeti SEL 2.0L Diesel and this sleeps out on our driveway; I now had the complete garage to play in and I set about turning the garage into my full time workshop; I had bought an American Shopsmith combination woodworking machine as it only occupied the space of a cycle and although its a very nice machine which I fully rebuilt I never liked the height of the saw table this being too high. I decided to design and build a bespoke table saw to suit my current needs this didn't need to be a tilting saw but it had to have rise and fall. I always have lots of offcuts in both metal and wood but when I want to buy metal I visit a local metal stockholder and buy a car load at a time.

The saw is made up of box; angle and sheet steel; construction involved mechanical fasteners such as set screws/washers and nuts also I have a big oil cooled industrial arc welder. I've now bought an horizontal metal cutting bandsaw but not having this I used a 9" dia angle grinder on a crude but accurate home made stand to cut the metal to length (safety is very important and I wear suitable protection). The height of the saw was to be the same height as the bench located in the workshop middle then the bench could double up as a feed out table; the width I wanted wide enough to be useful but was limited by the radial arm saw and woodturning lathe at its sides; front to back needed to accommodate the new motor and extraction.

The main frame is 2" x 2" angle iron accurately cut and welded after ensuring the sections were at true right angles; clamps were used and after tack welding a double check for squareness was carried out then fully welded. The welder used was a Pickhill Bantam (Oxford) oil cooled industrial 240v/415v 180A on 2.5mm 6013 mild steel electrodes (these electrodes are cheap from Screwfix). The top is 4mm thick plate which I had kicking around.

Now to answer BigC's question at last regarding the fence; initially I made an half length fence but wasn't happy with it so I made a very heavy substantial full length fence; the fence proper is 2" x 2" box section the clamping slide isn't welded it is attached with four 6mm dia countersunk set screws and nuts to allow for adjusting; the clamping handle is made I think from a lump of nylon I had this being turned on the wood lathe; an heavy duty 10 or 12mm set screw cut off supplies the threaded rod but this is accurately drilled on axis at its open end to accept a pressure pad the pad being made on the metal lathe; a short length of round bar stock was welded to the threaded set screw and the nylon handle bored then tapped into position.

The slide for the fence attached to the saw table is full width 1" x 2" box section; this is attached securely using a pair of 2" x 2" angle iron brackets with set screws/washers and nuts. The fence and its slide really are very strong indeed but I can't stress enough how important it is to get everything in true alignment with the blade; the blade is a brand new Trend at 12" dia. The fence and slide were given a good clean then waxed as was the table top. I'm now aware BigC that your table saw is a Screwfix machine so hopefully you'll be able to improve the fence accuracy by either upgrading the supplied fence or completely replacing it but of course this depends on the facilities you have access to; I'm aware not everyone has a welder or indeed can use a welder but most do have a drill of some kind which will drill holes in steel up to 10 or 12mm dia so set screws and nuts can be used (The difference between a bolt and a set screw is a set screw is fully threaded but a bolt is only part threaded). I was taught both gas and arc welding over 50 year ago as an apprentice; gas (oxy/acetylene) welding is difficult and dangerous due to the nature of the gasses used but arc (stick) welding is quite easy to learn and once a welder is bought it will pay for itself; basic arc welders can be bought cheap but go for at least 140A.

I've also taken pictures of my Shopsmith fence supplied with the machine and a very crude but highly useful fence I knocked together from offcuts for my bandsaw; fences come in lots of sizes and types these just being the ones I have.

I've concentrated on pictures mostly of the fence for a start but I'll add more details and pictures of "the works" as time permits; pictures in many cases are better than text alone. I'll try my best BigC to answer any of your questions and wish you good luck with your saw bench. More to follow.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSCN2932.JPG
DSCN2933.JPG
DSCN2934.JPG
DSCN2935.JPG
DSCN2936.JPG
DSCN2937.JPG
DSCN2938.JPG
DSCN2941.JPG
DSCN2943.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Gonna take me a little time to digest this @Colin :) thank you very much for the information...looks very good hopefully I can make something of a similar ilk...My saw is only a cheapo but as I say it does the job if one doesnt force the issue, and is only let down for me by the rubbish fence assembly I worked in a timber mill in my early days and would be used to a lot better industrial quality...but its only for jobs around the home and its footprint fits the bill.
Thanks again
Regards
C

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

If you feel ambitious BigC you could always tackle designing and making your own saw bench? I'm sure you'll be able to upgrade your saw bench fence making it much more accurate and reliable. You worked in a sawmill; I bet you enjoyed playing with the kit; I'm used to the old cast iron machinery designed and made to last many lifetimes like Wadkin; Dominion and Stenner etc.

I was in charge of three departments at work and my favourite was always the timber department where I enjoyed getting my "fix" each day as I walked in to be greeted with the aroma of freshly cut timber; we had the Wadkin machines such as saw bench and radial arm saw that would run day and night without fuss unlike the modern tinny kit put out for the DIY user.

A few more pictures to show the metal cutting technique and the assembly of the basic saw bench stand; just to make such a stand takes quite a bit of time and eats up plenty of metal. I rigged up a rough stand for my big angle grinder and where I couldn't use the angle grinder I used the hack saw. A lot of time was spent ensuring accuracy because to get the stand wrong would throw the whole saw bench out so check and double check then check a few more times before committing to welding; once welded the parts don't come apart like they were bolted? A lot of patience and less haste is the quickest way forward. Safety is paramount but I'm not obsessed with safety; I was taught if it feels safe it usual is safe but if it feels unsafe don't go there and so far after over 50 years the rule still works for me; I have a new pair of welding gauntlets but I always use my rigger gloves whilst welding; I also have an automatic welding helmet but I was taught using a basic shield and I still prefer the shield for one off welds.

I'm pushed for time because I want to settle down with Bron to a movie before another day slips by; being retired doesn't mean be lazy; Bron and I are up early every day and keep busy.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSCN2528.JPG
DSCN2529.JPG
DSCN2531.JPG
DSCN2532.JPG
DSCN2535.JPG
DSCN2536.JPG
DSCN2538.JPG
DSCN2539.JPG
DSCN2542.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Well this is what one of my brothers is working on right now. Making improvements and modification on our father's bench saw. It must be at least 60 yrs old and never a problem.
Unfortunately this area is totally out of my comfort zone, I stick to horticulture. But when I need something made, my big hearted brother makes it happen for me.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for your reply johnny canoe; the old machines were made to last and the bearings could be changed with a few spanners; I was taught on such machines and in those days chips came with fish not in control panels; CNC was still a long way off and as a child hour home at first didn't have electricity.

I always try to encourage others to leave their comfort zone and try new things; I'll have a go at anything and the harder the better; it's impossible to fail because even if the objective isn't successfully reached a lot of new skills will have been learned; I couldn't stand woodwork at school and didn't like the bully who was the woodwork teacher; I was in the top class but I failed woodwork on leaving school meaning I was bottom of school at woodwork; now though I love all aspects of woodworking having become interested at first on a need to do basis; small successes soon built into bigger successes as with all my many hobbies; start at the basics and make all the mistakes; learning new skills is fun. Your brother sounds like a very useful guy to have on your side. ;)

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question