Hibiscus as a tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Gina145, I hope that your trees will survive!:) It always makes me very happy when I hear about rescued plants:) My parents cut most trees that had grown in our garden, it was really heartbreaking. I'm sure that it would be better, if they were turned into bonsais.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Thanks claudine. None of them had leaves when I dug them up (as the garden service had recently hacked them back to stumps) but several of them are starting to bud and one has several leaves, so I'm hopeful that the roots are growing back too. The strange part is that the one I thought was most likely to survive is the one that now looks most likely to die.

Reaction score
Claudine - See what you mean, I can fully understand why you don't like 'upside down plants'.
Not only do those tomatoes look butt ugly and a very strange color, but they appear to be growing out of what looks like a standard lamp :( I think this is a time, when even you would agree those tomatoes are not 'pretty' :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yup, they aren't pretty at all. Also, call me old-fashioned if you want to, but I don't like anything that looks too weird or very modern. I guess I should have been born two centuries ago, I think that back then everything was prettier:)

Reaction score
I love hibiscus but don't really have a place for a hedge. Recently I saw a thing about using it as a standard instead.

Has anyone here tried this? Is it difficult to do?

Hibiscus can grow as a tree. Sometimes, it can get pretty tall. No matter how you grow it, hibiscus is a beautiful plant.

Reaction score
Yes, hibiscus can be grown as a tree. They can be found growing all over the place in the US Virgin Islands. They're one of our native plants here in the Virgin Islands. They come in many different colors and can grow very tall. I want I love about hibiscus trees, it attracts hummingbirds.

Here is a picture of a Hibiscus tree that is grown on the side of my house.

hibiscus2.jpg

Here is another one that I recently planted in front of my house. This type only grows about 3-5 ft tall the most.

saffronbush.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh wow, those are gorgeous. I had no idea they grew quite that large! The tallest I had previously seen were only maybe five foot tall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
NaturalBeauty_35, both of your hibiscuses are stunning. The one in the first picture seems giant, I love it! I want to have a plant like this in my garden, too:)
I've never been to the US Virgin Islands, it sounds like a lovely place.

Reaction score
Oh wow, those are gorgeous. I had no idea they grew quite that large! The tallest I had previously seen were only maybe five foot tall.
Thank you!!! :D

Yes, they can get very tall. But most likely the tropical ones do. They're different types of hibiscus species. Tropical hibiscus can grow up to 10-15 ft tall, depending on the climate. Recently, I have read in Hawaii they can grow up to 30 ft tall. Now that's huge!!! :eek:

Reaction score
That makes sense, the ones I was used to were probably varieties better suited to a Mediterranean climate. They were very pretty and quite lush, but mostly used as hedges rather than trees or shrubs. I remember being impressed by the varieties I saw in Honolulu, although I didn't notice any giants ;)

Reaction score
NaturalBeauty_35, both of your hibiscuses are stunning. The one in the first picture seems giant, I love it! I want to have a plant like this in my garden, too. I've never been to the US Virgin Islands, it sounds like a lovely place.
Thank you, Claudine. :D

Yes, the US Virgin Islands is a lovely place indeed. We have all types of hibiscus and different colors too. My favorite color is the yellow and pink hibiscus flowers. The colors combined together is so attractive but I haven't grown that one yet. But, I am planning to. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh, I've never seen a yellow hibiscus in real life, it sounds like a really pretty plant!:D
I live in Poland, so growing it here would be difficult, I think. Polish winters can be really cold sometimes:(

Reaction score
Those are beautiful! We had some trees like that in the yard where I grew up. They are also commonly called Rose of Sharon here. They are a much hardier variety than the typical tropical hibiscus. I love them!

I have a Rose of Sharon tree. I still do not understand why my tree only begins to bloom in September. I love the colors.

Reaction score
I have a Rose of Sharon tree. I still do not understand why my tree only begins to bloom in September. I love the colors.

Not all varieties of Hibiscus flower throughout the summer months and The Rose of Sharon Tree like the one you have - is one that doesn't - as it only blooms on new growth - which is normally around August/September and is the reason why yours only blooms in September :)

Ask a Question