Help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Seems like a lot of trouble to start seeds. I use peat pots with some coir and call it a day. Most of my seeds have been started this way, uncovered in the garage. Perhaps I'm missing something.
Well using a plastic cover instead of an expensive garage roof to help protect is probably a more cost effective method but other than that one defail I start mine like you describe

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
You don't really need to seal it entirely. Could you take a closer pic please? If you're worried, you could just dip your seeds in a very weak bleach 1 to 10 bleach to water. I can't really see if the seeds are germinating. Sometimes, the skin colour of the seeds might look black. It might not be all dead. Try some more. The method certainly works. My only concern is when you have about 6 in one towel, the roots will mat together and you can't really plant 6 seedlings in a pot as you will have a lot of competition. I have seen the black colour quite a few times. It is a good method as I found out that I was sold dead woodchips instead of clematis when I trialled the method.

Don't worry too much about the colour. Just make sure the environment is moist and not too hot or your seeds might be toasted. Is it winter in your country, young man?

See the colour on this towel?

images

Some seeds do bleed colour onto the medium!

You can see from the above pic, the roots will be weaving in and out of one another and you end up killing the seedlings when you tease them apart of when you grow them in masse, whichever way is not ideal.

You could trial this method

images

You could seal the whole tub with clingfilm or clear plastic to stop fungi growing in the soil or compost gnat laying eggs! Best is microwave the soil to sterilise it first and leave it to cool!

Bon courage, young man or young avatar!
@alp In the second picture can you acquaint me the method and the soil used in this process. This looks quite different to me for sprouting

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
You don't really need to seal it entirely. Could you take a closer pic please? If you're worried, you could just dip your seeds in a very weak bleach 1 to 10 bleach to water. I can't really see if the seeds are germinating. Sometimes, the skin colour of the seeds might look black. It might not be all dead. Try some more. The method certainly works. My only concern is when you have about 6 in one towel, the roots will mat together and you can't really plant 6 seedlings in a pot as you will have a lot of competition. I have seen the black colour quite a few times. It is a good method as I found out that I was sold dead woodchips instead of clematis when I trialled the method.

Don't worry too much about the colour. Just make sure the environment is moist and not too hot or your seeds might be toasted. Is it winter in your country, young man?

See the colour on this towel?

images

Some seeds do bleed colour onto the medium!

You can see from the above pic, the roots will be weaving in and out of one another and you end up killing the seedlings when you tease them apart of when you grow them in masse, whichever way is not ideal.

You could trial this method

images

You could seal the whole tub with clingfilm or clear plastic to stop fungi growing in the soil or compost gnat laying eggs! Best is microwave the soil to sterilise it first and leave it to cool!

Bon courage, young man or young avatar!
@alp You asked for a closer picture of my seeds in foam. Here it is
WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 10.02.53 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 10.00.36 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 9.58.38 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 10.00.36 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 9.58.38 PM.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
@alpThese pictures are the reflection of the result of sprouting the seeds in foam, But I might be doing it the wrong way. Just need someone as a good advisor.
And It's autumn in my country. Mild temperature nowadays.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely BIG pic! Those seeds don't seem to be fresh and viable and judging from here, the towel or foam looks very dry. But I could be wrong. There is nothing wrong with this method. You should try some other seeds with this method. Use a heavy-duty serviette and moisten it but no excess water. Seal it up loosely and if the seeds are fresh, they should sprout. The other method is just use good quality seedling compost and put it into tissue roll and cover if the seeds are big (look at the instructions) or leave them exposed if the seeds are very fine! I recommend sterilising the compost first and make sure the seeds have proprietary seed compost. Some seeds won't budge if you use the wrong medium or bury them too deep or you didn't stratify them or smoke them. What seeds are they please? Try another kind of seeds as they germinate very fast using your method. They will germinate unless the seeds are old or stored improperly or haven't been treated properly.

For tissue roll, click here please

For serviette/ towel, click here please

Don't worry about buying hydrogen peroxide. He's flogging it because he sell it. No need. Just buy fresh seeds.

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
@alp Thanks so much for videos and your quick reply. In the first video, they used coco fiber/peat as a starting soil. Is it good to let the young seeds sprout in that soil or we are going to need some mixture of it? And the next video on the paper towel, I have seen it and implied it on different seeds. They are under process right now.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That depends on what seeds you're sowing. Coco fibre is ideal for some plants such as Mother-in-law's tongue. Your best bet is to google the seeds you're going to sow and the medium they need. A lot of people don't like coco fibre as it is very low in nutrients. You could just use compost for seeds but find out what seeds you're going to use and do your own research. The tissue roll is ideal for sowing beans as they have long roots.

Ask a Question