Help!

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I had some seeds and I decided to sprout them in foam and paper towel, which I saw in some videos back there. After some time, around about 5 to 6 days, when I opened the seed they were dark black and I thought that they were dead already. I want to ask whether it is a part of the sprouting process or if it is not then how to help them sprout again.

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    34 KB · Views: 259
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Burhan :)

I have to say when I've had seeds go like that they haven't survived,
but I could be wrong. Someone more ' in the know' will offer you better advice soon I'm sure :)(y)

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
@Upsy Daisy Thanks for that motivation and your quick reply.I am really worried about my seeds cause they aren't sprouting well and they are turning black day by day. Let me get in touch with anyone that can let me through it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
As I said someone will come along soon to help you.(y) With it being a world-wide forum time zones can make it seem quiet at times.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The towel looks very dry to me. The best way to go about it is to roll out all water until the towel is moist but no water draining from it when you drain it. Also, it is best to put the towel in a clear loosely sealed bag to prevent moisture loss. Or you could spray it when it feels dry. I have tried this method and have met with great success, especially my cerinthe seeds which were like hard nuts.

To be honest, I don't know how hot and dry your country is, so it's a bit difficult to gauge. Using towel/tissue paper to germinate seeds can be very successful, but when your seeds develop roots, they will be all entangled and separating them is a nightmare and I have killed many a promising looking seedlings. If you really want this method, it might be a good idea to get a taller plaster tub and just put 2 to 3 seeds at most in a tub and then seal the tub. The moisture will be retained and once you see good roots, remove the plastic cover or seal to encourage air exchange. If you have more than 3 seeds, the roots will be damaged when you separate them and it will be a waste of effort.

The method does work. But away from direct hot sunlight and make sure the towel is MOIST but not wet at all times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@DirtMechanic They are seeds of Boston ivy.
@alp is on it. I usually just over plant seeds in starter and cover them, thinning the weak ones at transplant. Still from what I read the germ rate is high with the damp paper towel method. That foam is new to me though. How did you sterilize it? Seems it would melt under heat but it would absorb chlorine which could be toxic.

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The towel looks very dry to me. The best way to go about it is to roll out all water until the towel is moist but no water draining from it when you drain it. Also, it is best to put the towel in a clear loosely sealed bag to prevent moisture loss. Or you could spray it when it feels dry. I have tried this method and have met with great success, especially my cerinthe seeds which were like hard nuts.

To be honest, I don't know how hot and dry your country is, so it's a bit difficult to gauge. Using towel/tissue paper to germinate seeds can be very successful, but when your seeds develop roots, they will be all entangled and separating them is a nightmare and I have killed many a promising looking seedlings. If you really want this method, it might be a good idea to get a taller plaster tub and just put 2 to 3 seeds at most in a tub and then seal the tub. The moisture will be retained and once you see good roots, remove the plastic cover or seal to encourage air exchange. If you have more than 3 seeds, the roots will be damaged when you separate them and it will be a waste of effort.

The method does work. But away from direct hot sunlight and make sure the towel is MOIST but not wet at all times.
@alp I really appreciate your suggestion, so can iterate me with that plaster tub method in detail. This can help me alot to germinate other seeds in that way.

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
So what are your suggestion, to make them sprout? @DirtMechanic
@alp is on it. I usually just over plant seeds in starter and cover them, thinning the weak ones at transplant. Still from what I read the germ rate is high with the damp paper towel method. That foam is new to me though. How did you sterilize it? Seems it would melt under heat but it would absorb chlorine which could be toxic.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@alp I really appreciate your suggestion, so can iterate me with that plaster tub method in detail. This can help me alot to germinate other seeds in that way.

You need the plastic tub to seal in the moisture and it will allow light unless the germination instruction says otherwise. Also, plastic tub can keep the environment clean and sterile so that no fungi or bugs can lay eggs or grow there!

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
You need the plastic tub to seal in the moisture and it will allow light unless the germination instruction says otherwise. Also, plastic tub can keep the environment clean and sterile so that no fungi or bugs can lay eggs or grow there!
@alp I had them in a plastic box, seal pack but when I opened the box and unwrapped the foam and paper towel within it, I found these black seeds.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You don't really need to seal it entirely. Could you take a closer pic please? If you're worried, you could just dip your seeds in a very weak bleach 1 to 10 bleach to water. I can't really see if the seeds are germinating. Sometimes, the skin colour of the seeds might look black. It might not be all dead. Try some more. The method certainly works. My only concern is when you have about 6 in one towel, the roots will mat together and you can't really plant 6 seedlings in a pot as you will have a lot of competition. I have seen the black colour quite a few times. It is a good method as I found out that I was sold dead woodchips instead of clematis when I trialled the method.

Don't worry too much about the colour. Just make sure the environment is moist and not too hot or your seeds might be toasted. Is it winter in your country, young man?

See the colour on this towel?

images

Some seeds do bleed colour onto the medium!

You can see from the above pic, the roots will be weaving in and out of one another and you end up killing the seedlings when you tease them apart of when you grow them in masse, whichever way is not ideal.

You could trial this method

images

You could seal the whole tub with clingfilm or clear plastic to stop fungi growing in the soil or compost gnat laying eggs! Best is microwave the soil to sterilise it first and leave it to cool!

Bon courage, young man or young avatar!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Why the foam ?? Water will settle at the base of it , your seeds do look too dry in my opinion @Burhan . But take on board @alps advice and you will suceed!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Seems like a lot of trouble to start seeds. I use peat pots with some coir and call it a day. Most of my seeds have been started this way, uncovered in the garage. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Ask a Question