Help with pests?

Reaction score
Country
United States
image.jpeg
Hi! I recently decided to try a small container garden inside with some grow lights. I have a sweet and neat tomato plant and a couple of big beef tomato plants to start. I got them both last week from a farmers market and in the past couple of days noticed bugs in the soil and flying around.

I can't quite figure out what they are. One in the soil looks like it might be an Oribatid mite, it's small, brown, had a round shape. The one flying is white and has long antennae. I posted some pictures (apologies for the poor quality). Does anyone have any advice for what these might be? And whether I should be worried??

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 245
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 12609 Hi! I recently decided to try a small container garden inside with some grow lights. I have a sweet and neat tomato plant and a couple of big beef tomato plants to start. I got them both last week from a farmers market and in the past couple of days noticed bugs in the soil and flying around.

I can't quite figure out what they are. One in the soil looks like it might be an Oribatid mite, it's small, brown, had a round shape. The one flying is white and has long antennae. I posted some pictures (apologies for the poor quality). Does anyone have any advice for what these might be? And whether I should be worried??
I can't tell what they are but whatever they are isn't good. Use a spinosad based insecticide as a soil drench the next time you water them

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just have a cheap plastic squirt bottle, crush up a clove of garlic and add water and spray the leaves, garlic takes care of most insect pests. I am not big on pesticides and don´t think they would be necessary on indoor plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I just have a cheap plastic squirt bottle, crush up a clove of garlic and add water and spray the leaves, garlic takes care of most insect pests. I am not big on pesticides and don´t think they would be necessary on indoor plants.
Nice. (y) I need to try this. If something that simple and inexpensive will work on the little pesties, I'm all for it. I have trouble sometimes with miniature roses. The poor things thrive for a while but within weeks they always get infested and I can't control the spider mites and what-have-yous. They end up destroying my roses because my plant washing techniques fail every single time. I'm going to get me some garlic cloves and try your suggestion next time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
It looks like a beetle or something but definitely it is an insect. If you don't want to use chemical insecticide then use our favorite pest control - the liquid dish washing soap. Mix a tablespoon in a half liter of water and spray it in the affected area. If you have tomatoes or pepper, their leaves are delicate so you should rinse it with water after 5 minutes of application otherwise just let the soap stay there.

Ask a Question