Help with garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help my garden is a mess. It keeps overgrown. It's bump. I've never done gardening in my life and would love to be able to make it nice.

I don't know if you can attach a picture

I know I need to move the rubbish. Like what equipment will I need
Please judgement I have anxiety and depression and it was left like this before we moved in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20220108_103903.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Start by picking up the rubbish and putting it in the bin, that's pretty obvious, but it will make it look a lot better instantly, then you have to decide what you want from it. Apart from the bush in the corner it looks as though it is all grass or concrete. The simplest way would be to keep it like that, a small electric mower would cope with that amount of grass and be the cheapest option, going over it with a wire rake will improve the grass in time, there are grass seed /compost mixes you could add in Spring to help that.
If you want flower beds, or to grow veg, initially you can get by with a spade and a small hand fork and trowel set. The cheapest spade will not be too much different from an expensive one, but on the fork and trowel set look at how the handle is joined to the blade, that is often a weak point. To make a bed dig out a cube of turf and turn it over, the grass will rot underneath and fertilise the soil some. If you do it now when you come to plant stuff in a couple of months you will find the winter weather has broken down the surface for you a bit.
If you don't know what the bush is it might pay to leave it a bit to see if it is something nice.
Take account of the orientation of the garden and where gets sunlight or is in shade, sunny spots are generally better, but there are plants that love shade too.
Positives, you have good fences by the look of it, that can save you a lot of expense and work and provide good shelter, it is not so huge as to be overwhelming, you have joined a community where you can share your achievements and get ongoing advice and encouragement.
All the best, there can be real joy in seeing things develop and grow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much for your reply. I will definitely get rid of the rubbish. It's all uneven the patch of grass so I get that wire rake. We have a lawnmower I've just never used it . I would love to do flower bed with my kid just for a project and for the garden to look nice and not a mess. I have a small trowel set. This had just weeds all last year that patch and I tried to dig them out. I am completely new to this. Would love to get better and take good care

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My guess is that with a kid you are walking about a fair bit, keep an eye on other people's gardens, see what they are growing and what does well locally. Quite often if you stop and look at a nice garden I have found you can get into a conversation, gardeners tend to be reasonably friendly. People with nice gardens have got a certain amount of knowledge, and enjoy their work being appreciated, if you are lucky they may even have the occasional cutting or a few spare seeds.
This is mainly the time of year to think about it and plan, in February is really the earliest you can start most seeds on the windowsill. Don't plant too much of things, that is a really common error for beginners. I can't remember if it was poundland or poundshop, but one of them I found packets of five different seeds, but just a few of each, and they worked alright. Buy a full packet of seed and it can be £2.50 or more, okay you get a lot of seeds, but who needs 2,000 lettuces? Put left over seeds in a tupperware type box somewhere cool and most things are good for next year as well, but now we are getting ahead of ourselves :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Definitely. Well this morning it's not much but I've cleared up the rubbish from the patch of grass I've got.

Attachments

• IMG_20220109_100410.jpg
    IMG_20220109_100410.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220109_100435.jpg
    IMG_20220109_100435.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20220109_100438.jpg
    IMG_20220109_100438.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The close up seems to show that there is a strip along the side that is not grass , but weeds where it was previously cultivated. It would be a good idea to turn that over with a spade and bury the weeds before they have a chance to flower. If it has been cultivated before it might not be too hard. Does it get the sun there?
It already looks better.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's already rooted as it was all weeds next year. I get in to getting a spade and start digging it all up. I took the thorns out the tree today. Then we had 6 birds in it my other half video. Tommrow hopefully tackling weeds. Thanks for your help again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took the thorns out the tree today.
I take it those were blackberry brambles, if they are not cut well below the root/stem junction they will come back. Sometimes it can be quite hard getting under, especially when they grow out of a crack in a wall or fence, but it is well worth it, they come back with a vengeance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Zooming in on the pictures I can see blackberry brambles as Oliver has mentioned, and the weed covering the ground looks like creeping buttercup. It's roots run underground and produce other shoots elsewhere. If the roots of the brambles and this weed aren't completely removed they will re-grow from the tiniest piece.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What do you want your garden to look like? There are so many ways to change and develop it. Are you interested in vegetables, flower beds, lawn, shrubs and perennials, trellised vines, etc?
If you only have a visual model of what you would like, post images either taken yourself or found online.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly ehat i would like is a nice flower bed,maybe some perennials i wont do vegetablesas next to a main road. and bits where it just. grass.Managable. I've been thinking where the fencer is is like a flower bed. Though unsure if that would work and then do a few different colours flowers. I've never through of looking imaged I have a one in mine. Am the kinda love the picket fence and flowers

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, it is a simple, straight-forward space to plan out. Under and around that large deciduous shrub you could plant a variety of shade plants and woodland bulbs The borders along the fences are indeed an appropriate place for flowering plants. Start with a framework of low shrubs and perennials, and then enhance with bulbs, herbs, and seasonal annuals. Be creative as there are near-endless intriguing combinations. Unless you really want a lawn consider more beds in the center. A garden with wide beds and narrow paths between them will offer the most space for planting. Also do take advantage of the vertical space on fences by using vines, espaliers, or wall planters.

If you do want a lawn in the center don't fuss with a formal lawn entirely of grass. For less labor and cost you can get more beauty and ecological benefit form a small patch of meadow, with either low-mow, high-mow or even no-mow. A lawn overtaken by bulbs in Spring is particularly fine. Next Fall indulge in a bulk sack of Spring bulbs: Crocus, Hyacinthus, Hyacinthoides, Narcissus, Muscari, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much for your input, I've been looking up the different flower, perninal and bushes. So next week I think I need a spade and to dig though the garden to start a fresh hopefully get those peso weeds out. I don't really want to use chemicals as we have a cat that goes into the garden/yard alot. I like these to Flowers so I think I try these I love purple and orange so maybe a theme and then add more colours. Just trying to figure out compost and everything there so much choice am on a budget but just doing little bit of a time.
Screenshot_20220116_095543_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220116_095441_com.android.chrome.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have orange lilies like the one in your top picture .in a pot, they bloom for a short period and it means I can stand them out of the way while they are boring most of the year. Think about marigolds, they come in various shades, are easy to grow, and last well.

Marck is right about Autumn being the time to plant bulbs, but I have got away with planting tulips this time of year when I forgot to put them in for a contract one year. If you are on a tight budget it might be worth looking to see if there is a garden society around your way, people who are into gardens often grow on cuttings and collect seed, a good source for free plants. I gave my daughter orange lilies, a box bush, tomato seedlings and aqualegia plants last year, probably more if I could remember.

I am vulnerable, so don't get out much, but poundland should have their garden section back after Christmas soon if not already, their plackets of five different lots of seed for a pound are good value.

Ask a Question