Help with garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its never to early to talk about healthy, fertile soil. As you garden was allowed to grow with weeds for x number of years, the soil has actually improved with time. Now, if you tear up all your weeds and dispose of them offsite, you will be taking the first step towards making your soil worse.

Instead of removal, begin to add and return organic matter into the soil. Start with your weed clippings. Mulch or compost them on site. In a small garden mulch beds first, but also dedicate a spot for compost. The best place to cold compost is the paths. When you select the placement of paths 'pave' them with layers of cardboard topped with wood chips. Later you can incorporate more organic patter on the surface or buried under the chips.

This may sound to complex to bother with, but it really is the successful way forward. A beautiful garden is not just a colorful display, but a complex ecosystem. The health of the soil is one of its key foundations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
The orange flowers in your picture above are Lily's. If your cat is inquisitive I suggest you don't have them as the pollen is extremely poisonous to cats.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its never to early to talk about healthy, fertile soil. As you garden was allowed to grow with weeds for x number of years, the soil has actually improved with time. Now, if you tear up all your weeds and dispose of them offsite, you will be taking the first step towards making your soil worse.

Instead of removal, begin to add and return organic matter into the soil. Start with your weed clippings. Mulch or compost them on site. In a small garden mulch beds first, but also dedicate a spot for compost. The best place to cold compost is the paths. When you select the placement of paths 'pave' them with layers of cardboard topped with wood chips. Later you can incorporate more organic patter on the surface or buried under the chips.

This may sound to complex to bother with, but it really is the successful way forward. A beautiful garden is not just a colorful display, but a complex ecosystem. The health of the soil is one of its key foundations.
I still not sure which ones the weeds are, so dig and but them back I garden with compost. I've just dug out books my grandad has years ago he was good at gardening unfortunately I can't ask him anymore as he passed away. But going to look through all these. Is there a certain compost I have to use I am going to wilko on Wednesday for a spade and to look as they had gardening stuff in.

Attachments

• IMG_20220116_222507.jpg
    IMG_20220116_222507.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Country
United States
I still not sure which ones the weeds are, so dig and but them back I garden with compost. I've just dug out books my grandad has years ago he was good at gardening unfortunately I can't ask him anymore as he passed away. But going to look through all these. Is there a certain compost I have to use I am going to wilko on Wednesday for a spade and to look as they had gardening stuff in.
Overall, any organic mulch will be beneficia,l but the particle size will determine its best use. Fine-particled mulches and composts will work better for immediate soil amendments and as short-term seasonal mulches. While larger textured barks and wood chips will be used for longer-term covering. If applied thickly enough they will assist with weed suppression, but if you are really trying to stop weeds get some free cardboard and lay several overlapping layers down first. Cardboard is also a organic matter and will breakdown in a year or two. Be sure to peel off the tape and other plastic first, at least as much as you are able. Cardboard can even be used alone, but in ornamental situations it is not usually considered attractive enough without other mulch over it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey its been a few months this i started doing the Garden a family death i haven't had motivation to do anything. I have no help either so am struggling I had both plants to plant in January but still haven't due to emotional trauma. Just thinking we're ti start again.
IMG_20220618_073615.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am sorry to hear about your loss, my condolences. In terms of loss of motivation, however, there is nothing like getting outside with only the sky above your head, it is indoors under ceilings I have had all my worst moments.
That is very different from your first picture, the regenerative powers of nature are amazing, and I expect the cat enjoys it like that, however your neighbours may not be so pleased when it all goes to seed and starts spreading into their garden. It will be doing the soil some good, it looked rather trodden and compacted before, and put through a mower and shredded a bit it will make a good basis for a compost heap. Taken down with a hook is harder work and it will take longer to compost, but either will work. Best done before it becomes full of seeds.
I don't know how much rain you have had, down here in Sussex it is bone dry and digging has become a job for a pickaxe, so you might want to leave that until it is a bit damper, but get out there. There is nothing like 'outside' to help one's mental attitude, and it almost doesn't matter what you do, when it is like that it will show, there will be some achievement.
Sometimes it can look overwhelming, but a flower bed is created one spade width at a time, little and often is the way forward, don't exhaust yourself. I am coming up 78 this year and in the last couple of years I have put a large garden into order and created new flower beds and veggie beds. I am out there for a bit almost every day. Nothing happened quickly, but there is a cumulative effect if you keep doing it. If you go mad, work yourself into the ground and flatten everything at once, I can almost guarantee you will be right back where you are this time next year.

Ask a Question