Help with design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1355.jpeg

I am new to gardening

I am looking on some ideas on what to do here

I have some small cupress and keeping them like that I have some daffodils between then what else could I put in that’s colourful and easy to maintain

Also the right side were the semi circle is

I am also looking to maybe make a oval bed to the right hand side in the middle

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It's a blank canvas. You need to inspire us with the goals - what you want to achieve. Do you want to sleep in the shade, dine with friends under a vine covered pergola, devote half to kitchen garden and half to bird attracting flowering trees...?
I would like to see the view from the living area of this backyard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@redback is right. What do you want from this long term?

Just fast flowers: daisy, black-eyed susan, lilies, flowering onions? Build some trellis and train clematis or wisteria in there? Go bigger and train crab applies, lilacs, and dogwoods.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1710358731636.png

Sorry, but I would find your front garden very boring, and that is the problem. Some people like the big grass and skinny regimented outside border, but the above picture would be more my idea of lovely. Lots of lavender for perfume up to the front door, and roses and shrubs for the bees and butterflies....... well, you did ask :giggle:

PS. It would be nice if you could pop back in and tell us what you decide.... please, it would be interesting to know how it shapes up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have some small cupress and keeping them like that I have some daffodils between then what else could I put in that’s colourful and easy to maintain
Bulbs are mostly easy maintenance, and by planting at various depths you can have them growing quite thickly, so not just the Spring flowering tulips and crocus, but Autumn crocus, nerines etc as well. Cyclamen flower in Autumn usually, but give you a good ground cover of stylish foliage as well, think foliage as well as flowers.
Is this garden front or back? Make yourself a good bed and you can grow some veg in among the flowers, things like broccoli, red cabbage and kale can make a really good backdrop, or even grow in amongst things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Bulbs and big grasses sure, that's easy. Lavender could make it smell nice and sleepy. But how about a giant fire-breathing dragon sculpture right in the middle of that grass??? Set it at 5:30 AM to roar and breath fire like an alarm clock.

@Tetters, one [post] and done member

Ask a Question