Design help please!

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_8593.JPG
IMG_8598.JPG
How do you all feel about the two tone look?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

To be honest it's difficult to see the lighter coloured stones, but I really like the dark ones.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the feedback! I'm in Arkansas. I haven't gotten to plant any flowers just yet. I heard you're not supposed to plant until after May. Is that true? I'd like to plant some flowers with a longer blooming period than what I've had in the past. Any ideas? This area is pretty much full sun after noon.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I heard you're not supposed to plant until after May. Is that true?

If you live in the northernmost part of Arkansas, zone 6, then wait 'til the middle of May. If you live in zone 7 or 8, then you don't have to wait that long. (y)

I agree with @Becky. At least, in the photo the lighter colors are hard to see. And I like the dark ones! :)

When you say you want a longer blooming period, do you mean the individual plants keep blooming? Deadhead, and they'll bloom all summer? Or do you mean you want flowers spring, summer, and fall - something is always in bloom? Or a bit of both?

You want perennials, full sun, hardy to zone(s) 6, 7, or 8. What colors do you like? For that matter, what kind of plants do you like? Do you want go native, and have your yard visited by butterflies and hummingbirds? :love: :cool:

If you want to find your zone, you can find it here:
http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/Default.aspx#

Once you've found it, you can enter it in your user profile page (here)

Welcome to the forum
! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in the northwest corner, so I better wait. My rosebush is the only thing I have right now that blooms for most of the year. I love that bush just because of that. I have a couple other flowers that bloom one time a year, and then they are done. I can't remember what they are though. I'm just getting into gardening, so I'm not yet well educated in this area.

I am not too particular about color, but I definitely don't want anything that will attract bees!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You need bees (and other pollinators) for your garden's sake. ;)
Figuring out your zone, following Becky's link, will tell you when you can plant.

I think in your general area, you have a ton of options! My best advice is to go to a garden center (NOT a big box or chain store) and just wander around looking at plants. Most will have informative tags on them and employees at a good garden center will be knowledgeable and happy to answer questions.

If you have a digital camera or smartphone, take pictures and go home and see what will fit where.

Also don't limit yourself to flowering plants. Many shrubs and ornamental grasses are pretty all season long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think it looks great! I am a little jealous of how flat it is there. I live in WV...the mountain state. I don't think there is one flat spot in my yard. Unless underneath the pool counts. hehe.

Ask a Question