Help: Veggies, Herbs, & Greens seem Stunted, some Yellowing with Translucent Spots - Fungus Gnats?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All -- Rookie Gardener who's made some mistakes & looking for help / advice on how to right things :)

I rent an apartment in a heavily wooded area (sun & shade that shifts throughout the day - re: no spot of straight sunlight for more than 4ish hours, maybe 5). B/c I can't put down anything permanent, & b/c we have a plethora of bugs & animals in the yard at all times, I'm trying to grow veggies & herbs in grow bags inside a cheap plastic greenhouse (for pest protection?). The greenhouse has 3 tiny screened windows & a screen door, which helps a bit for ventilation & keeping things from being crazy humid.

That said, I may have made some mistakes regarding moisture. Firstly, I read that grow bags dry out easily, so I mulched about 1.5 inches in the bottom, and about an inch around the sides before adding Lowe's Organic Garden Soil - thinking that would slow moisture loss. I think the humidity in the greenhouse tent remains fairly high & thus I may have kept things too wet with the mulch (several days after watering it is still wet an inch into the containers). Also, I think from only using this soil, I may be experiencing some compacting. Even though it isn't dry, its settled quite a bit from how it looked the first week or so. & maybe too much organic material?

All of my plants have sprouted (except celery) but they seem to be staying fairly small. My mizuna is at a decent size, as are my green beans, basil, and cilantro. But my arugula (the third picture below) is small, spindly, and yellowish. My radishes (second picture below) got very leggy & pale & spotted, and my cucumber leaves seem to have stopped growing & are now getting pale on the edges (not pictured here).

I have seen tiny black flying bugs, which I believe are fungus gnats. I've treated the plants with an organic fungicide/insecticide & they're greatly reduced but not gone completely. I'm afraid to water even though the top layer has dried out (its been over a week). The bags still seem to be holding moisture & I don't want to make the gnats worse or breed fungus in my grow bags.

Gah! Please help. Totally knew to containers, grow bags, & green houses. Only gardened once before (last year) and it was at my job's raised beds.

Thank you!!

mustard greens
IMG_9288.jpg
radishes:
IMG_9292.jpeg
arugula:
IMG_9289.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Soil that does not drain becomes a killer. I could not google the brand you mentioned. Generically you already suspect you have overdone it, but go ahead and say about your fertilizing and so forth if any?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Soil that does not drain becomes a killer. I could not google the brand you mentioned. Generically you already suspect you have overdone it, but go ahead and say about your fertilizing and so forth if any?
I know :( I'm attaching a photo of the soil I used; I haven't fertilized at all yet (the soil says it contains fertilizer; I filled my grow bags and seeded about 4 weeks ago). Do you think I should fertilize?

Do you think mulching the perimeter of the bags was a bad idea (preventing easy drainage & keeping the soil too wet?)

I greatly appreciate your feedback.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 9.43.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 9.43.07 AM.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The crinkling on the leaf of your mustard green sure looks like aphid damage.
It is hard to imagine cucumber having too much water, but they are quite greedy feeders too. I make a mixture of two parts top soil, two parts compost and one each of wood ash and manure for mine.

Ask a Question