Help with Shrub Identification and Care

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Gardeners!
I recently moved to a new home with a garden and it’s my first go at caring for outdoor plants. These shrubs had bright red flowers on them only a few weeks ago and looked quite orderly, now they’ve splayed out alarmingly. I’m told it’s a flowering quince and I’m wondering if this is normal behavior or how to manage the spread.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 334D8129-50D7-4A50-BC21-C933104CADCA.jpeg
    334D8129-50D7-4A50-BC21-C933104CADCA.jpeg
    415.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 4CA82697-FE86-4CBD-A973-78AEEF0AD466.jpeg
    4CA82697-FE86-4CBD-A973-78AEEF0AD466.jpeg
    429.3 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes it is a Flowering Quince and that is the way they grow. If you want to shape it, now is the time to do so. They bloom on the growth from previous years. Remove any part you don’t want and shorten it to a more manageable size. It’s best to only thin it and shorten only very long branches. If you cut it back hard it will produce long stems that will make it just as big next year. They are very susceptible to fireblight so dip your pruners in 1 tablespoon of bleach in a gallon of water between each cut.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes it is a Flowering Quince and that is the way they grow. If you want to shape it, now is the time to do so. They bloom on the growth from previous years. Remove any part you don’t want and shorten it to a more manageable size. It’s best to only thin it and shorten only very long branches. If you cut it back hard it will produce long stems that will make it just as big next year. They are very susceptible to fireblight so dip your pruners in 1 tablespoon of bleach in a gallon of water between each cut.
Thank you so very much!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Prune back to the flowers, then they develop quite attractive fruit, they are edible and quince like, but not as good as a proper quince tree.

Ask a Question