Help transplanting & propagating an extremely fertile Monstera plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a Monstera that was real slow to grow, but has since been popping off. Each leaf is bigger than the last and we have essentially ended up with a tree. We LOVE this plant, but I am struggling with how to keep up with the potting as the plant is growing sideways. We want to propagate it, but all of the leaves spawn off of one main stem and the air roots that are there, are coming out the other side of the main stem. We would have have to the apart the main stem, that all leaves are connected to, to get a leaf and air root to propagate. Does anyone have any ideas on how to redirect plant growth or how to propagate without using air roots?

Thank you!

20210822_124841.jpg

20210706_130131.jpg

20210822_124949.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
When you re-pot it, plant the root ball at an angle so the stem will be more erect and then use one or more heavy stakes to try to train the plant to grow at least somewhat upright.
Unless you really need a second plant I would hold off on propagation until your Monstera is even larger. Taking a cutting (or air-layering) will require sacrificing a growing tip and since you only have one, why not let it get really BIG!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Or skip the repotting and just stake it up. The stem is pretty flexible and can take whatever bending you need to do. If you feel you must have more, as long as a leaf is connected to a piece of stem it will grow into another plant. You could conceivably make 5 or 6 plants from what you have. The stem sections don't need to have roots already growing to make new plants. This all works better in greenhouse-like conditions of very bright light, high humidity and moist soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I have sort of trained a similar monstera to grow upwards more than it naturally would by using a stake and plant Velcro. When I re-pot, I tilt it upwards also. Start with light pressure, you can increase pressure as you go. You can also keep your pot from flipping by placing in in a heavy container. I disguise what I have done with a bit of dried green sheet moss. Lol.
These monstera are somewhat difficult to propagate. The close internodal spacing can make finding a spot to get a clean cut tricky. Then they are still infamous for being difficult to root. It absolutely can be done. I do it often. Just be diligent checking the health of the stem. And have plans for what to do if you find something you didn't want to find.
Also, you may or may not know you have a large form deliciosa. You may be seeing the small form if you are seeing similar plants climbing quickly and easily straight up a moss pole or other surface. While we can train our large forms to do something more like that, inevitably they are going to have a large footprint. Propagating it will possibly result in a footprint twice as large.
Your plant is gorgeous. Well done. I noticed my home depot is selling the large form and small form lately. The tags do not state the difference. But, look for words like "borsigiana" or "climbing" if you want to pick up one that climbs. But, be ready, those grow even faster. And despite being called a small form, they still can grow quite large.

Attachments

• 0904211943_HDR.jpg
    0904211943_HDR.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 56
Reaction score
Country
Australia
My neighbour has a heap of these giant plants growing in their front yard. A few of them have subsequently grown towards and over onto our property.

I’ve cut one of them at where it begins growing over our property. Wanted to see if there is a possibility of propagating it, if so how difficult would it be?

I’m very new to gardening, and have only propagated small indoor plants, nothing like this monster!

Attachments

• 0506A478-FCE0-472A-B7A6-C1ED8F536C42.jpeg
    0506A478-FCE0-472A-B7A6-C1ED8F536C42.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 43E38601-D8B9-45D9-9447-46B2BA402C32.jpeg
    43E38601-D8B9-45D9-9447-46B2BA402C32.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 47
  • 5E776B7B-2BA8-4F93-A7A5-57097C08213B.jpeg
    5E776B7B-2BA8-4F93-A7A5-57097C08213B.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 01D829FE-A1F6-4B9D-AAB7-FA42F2325B3C.jpeg
    01D829FE-A1F6-4B9D-AAB7-FA42F2325B3C.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 50
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes they stems can be rooted in water or potting soil. Keep in bright indirect light. Change the water regularly if in water. Water regularly if in soil. If you have enough stems, try both methods to see which you prefer. Small stem tips, older stems, even leafless green stems can all potentially root. keep only one or two leaves on a cutting . If the leaves are immense, part of a leaf will do.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yes they stems can be rooted in water or potting soil. Keep in bright indirect light. Change the water regularly if in water. Water regularly if in soil. If you have enough stems, try both methods to see which you prefer. Small stem tips, older stems, even leafless green stems can all potentially root. keep only one or two leaves on a cutting . If the leaves are immense, part of a leaf will do.
Thanks Marck again for your advice! there’s quite a few stems out there so will try both.

So is the idea that the roots will come out of the nodes? When I cut off the excess leaves at the bottom and they are submerged in soil/water, will roots potential come out of them? Or are leaf nodes different to root nodes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Stake it. These are climbers in its native environment. Stalking it will help it train to grow up and not all over. I have 4 stakes in mine. It is over 3 feet tall and 4 feet wide. Stakes help contain it to 2 feet wide. Once you have more steams you can use a natural string and tie parts together with stakes to control it better. If you decide to cut to propagate. Make sure there is a nod, an airiel root may be growing from one.
These plants do get wild and big and why I love it so much. Planterina has great videos on how to manage this plant on you tube if you want to check them out.

Ask a Question