Help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having recently checked on my friends property in Bulgaria, I was wondering if anyone could please say if this is chamomile or daisy?
Screenshot_20210822-165948_WhatsApp.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
This looks like a form of Fleabane (Erigeron spp.), but there are other genera, such as Symphyotrichum, that also have species that appear similar. One would need to look at the floral parts carefully to say more.

Is this a cultivated plant or a plant growing wild, perhaps in Bulgaria?

Actually, the word 'daisy' is a general term that can be applied to any member of the immense Daisy family (Asteraceae), so in that sense, Chamomile, Fleabane, and Asters are all daisies.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you especially for the swift reply. It is growing wild in their garden along with a walnut tree and a peach tree! They seem to live off the land a lot. Sorry for the terrible photos my phone is quite old! They hoped for chamomile haha! Is fleabane medicinal?
This looks like a form of Fleabane (Erigeron spp.), but there are other genera, such as Symphyotrichum, that also have species that appear similar. One would need to look at the floral parts carefully to say more.

Is this a cultivated plant or a plant growing wild, perhaps in Bulgaria?

Actually, the word 'daisy' is a general term that can be applied to any member of the immense Daisy family (Asteraceae), so in that sense, Chamomile, Fleabane, and Asters are all daisies.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What a beautiful, pastoral setting. I recognize some of the plants. The flowering shrub is a Rose-of-Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus). There are also grape vines (Vitis vinifera) and a fig tree (Ficus carica). Some of the herbs include Dock (Rumex sp.), Wild Lettuce (Lactuca sp.), and that tall narrow weed in front is actually another very different species of Erigeron. It is an introduced plant commonly known as Horseweed (Erigeron canadensis, or a similar sp.). I wonder if that dark conifer is a Juniper (Juniperus sp.). There are several native to Bulgaria. It would be good to see the fleshy cones.

I understand that some Erigeron spp. have been used medicinally, but please don't experiment with any medicinal herb without consulting with an experienced herbalist. The name 'fleabane' refers to a former use as an insect repellent or insecticide. That is another reason not to consume the plant without extensive knowledge about it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your absolutely right. I love their Bulgaria house! It's so big! Ah they use hibiscus in gin making don't they? Yes they were grapes! Very nice picking my own! I never noticed the fig tree! My friends are so lucky and you seem very interesting and intelligent!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you mean using Juniper in gin? Juniper berries are often used in many gin recipes, but they usually come from a different species of Juniper (Juniperus communis). The juniper in the photo is most likely Juniperus sabina.

Actually, I was mistaken about the fig. The grape leaves in the tree looked like fig leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you because me and my friend said they were two different things! I told her she had juniper and she didn't believe me! A neighbour said they planted one for the last owners!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since I appreciate some more input they said I could post some more photos of their garden so here they are for you to enjoy (and hopefully tell me some more about their plants!) They couldn't get over this year I went instead, stunning place. (When the garden hasn't taken everything over!) On and thank you once again most obliged! Feel free to zoom in I am getting interested in horticulture myself this year!

Attachments

• image00010.jpeg
    image00010.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 51
  • image00004.jpeg
    image00004.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 29
  • image00022.jpeg
    image00022.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 40
  • image00014.jpeg
    image00014.jpeg
    453.1 KB · Views: 33
  • image00004.jpeg
    image00004.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 35
  • image00021.jpeg
    image00021.jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 28
  • image00008.jpeg
    image00008.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Country
United States
A few more plants catch my eye.

I spy a Hop vine (Humulus lupulus) and Black Elderberry flowers (Sambucus nigra).

That tall rank weed may be a type of Sweet-clover (Melilotus sp.) and that white-flowered Umbellifer (Apiaceae member) is probably very familiar, but I'm not sure...

That tree I mistook for a fig is actually a mulberry (Morus sp. , perhaps Morus alba). Interestingly, figs and mulberries are both in the same family: Moraceae.

Ask a Question