Help to id this cherry tree if anyone can

Reaction score
Country
United States
This tree (I have 2 of them side by side) I do not remember what kind it is, they both produce hundreds of cherrys yearly, however,
and this is a big however, the fruit is very small which I am thinking is not how it is meant to be, and the taste..........
it taste like, I dont know how to describe it but when you eat one you wont be eating a second one without maybe someone paying you to lol.
it tastes horrible and is mostly pit, our other non sweet cherrys we have here are still good to eat but not these.
Anyway if I knew what kind of cherry it is I could look up facts about it and tag it accordingly, any help is appreciated, thank you for looking!!

IMG_3035.jpg
IMG_3038.jpg
IMG_3037.jpg
IMG_3036.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Panama
try using these applications for identification.
PlantNet, PictureThis, iNaturalist, PlantSnap

I use these applications to identify plants before posting them on my YouTube channel.

Then you can confirm on other sites. If your application shows a possible name, write to me, I will check on the websites of botanical gardens.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I think that is it, it appears the seeds are used for cooking/baking the flesh does not taste good at all.

Thank you so much for the help, now with thousands of these each year I guess I have my work cut out for me.
What app did you use to id it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would call that a "Chokecherry", that's what we call them in New England. Most people don't like the taste. I love them and can stand for hours picking them, sucking off the pulp from the seed, then, we kids would have contests to see how far we could spit those seeds.

If you don't want it, send it to me !!😁 (kidding!!)

Reaction score
Country
United States
You know why they call them choke cherry?
Because you fricken choke when you eat them, they are not good to eat.
I cannot believe you like the taste, its like dish detergent lol
maybe its because we have so many good to eat cherry's here (nanking & stella)
I am happy to send you some seeds or cuttings if you want them, I got a start of white nanking
this season, I cant wait to try them, no fruit yet on those, I love the red nankings we have, so tasty!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
You know why they call them choke cherry?
Because you fricken choke when you eat them, they are not good to eat.
I cannot believe you like the taste, its like dish detergent lol
maybe its because we have so many good to eat cherry's here (nanking & stella)
I am happy to send you some seeds or cuttings if you want them, I got a start of white nanking
this season, I cant wait to try them, no fruit yet on those, I love the red nankings we have, so tasty!!
I know, my mother thought I was nuts, but, I had my DNA done and it said that I don't taste bitter.
This is true, I really don't. Tastebuds, we all have different ones !!

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
A wild sour or choke cherry of some sort would be my guess. I use an app called Lense that is really good at using your camera to identify plants, esspecially if they are in bloom, or have fruit. If it is highly bitter, sour or astringent to the taste it can be poisonous to eat without cooking and special preparation. Trust your tongue.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They make chokecherry brandy with it around here... so it is a little useful. If planted where you have cool nights they will actually be sweet when ripe.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in kansas U.S.A. So by the time they are ripe (around june 1st) we are having nights in the 60's to about 75, I assume that is not what you would consider cool because they taste like dookie.
we make cherry vodka with the nankings, and it is sooo delicious, I could never see using these choke cherrys for that.
I can see the ground seeds being good for some seasoning purposes, I am going to pick and try that, I am thinking clean them of that nasty flesh then place on a baking sheet in a low heat oven for a bit to dry them out then to the coffee grinder with them, unless someone else has a better proven way to get them to powder form.

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
I am in kansas U.S.A. So by the time they are ripe (around june 1st) we are having nights in the 60's to about 75, I assume that is not what you would consider cool because they taste like dookie.
we make cherry vodka with the nankings, and it is sooo delicious, I could never see using these choke cherrys for that.
I can see the ground seeds being good for some seasoning purposes, I am going to pick and try that, I am thinking clean them of that nasty flesh then place on a baking sheet in a low heat oven for a bit to dry them out then to the coffee grinder with them, unless someone else has a better proven way to get them to powder form.

Don't Eat Cherry pits! They have cyanide in them like apple seeds have arsenic! They are poisonous. Only the ripe flesh is safe. If you won't eat them then leave them for wild bird populations, which are not harmed by eating them. Just because something may not have a use for you, doesn't mean it won't help other things in the ecosystem, which then in turn bennefits your garden. By attracting birds you get free maneur, pest control & preditor alarms.

Ask a Question