Plz I need some help with my lapin cherry tree (sapling)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also posted this under fruits but no one has answer yet. Something is eating the leaves, i did spot some spidermites and sprayed the tree down with some gardensafe insect killer, but now the leaves are yellowing. I planted the bare root tree in april in tennesse and it has been growimg like crazy and doing well until a few weeks ago. Iam new to gardening and this is my first tree. so any advice is appreciated but i really need to know whatto do to save it
20210623_170659.jpg
20210623_170656.jpg
20210623_170653.jpg
20210623_170635.jpg
.. i will add some picture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have you planted that in a pot? It looks hungry, and I wonder if it can get any nutrients? It's plain to see that insects have had a nibble but I reckon it will survive that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I see old insect damage which appears to be the cause of the yellowing. I cannot see the base of the tree to see if it is planted too deep. I do see suckers at the base and these should be removed ASAP as these suckers are taking energy from the rest of the tree. I also see a minor or just beginning micro-nutrient deficiency. What have you fed the tree with and when?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is in the ground..i wasnt sure about the suckers, i will remove them right away. I feed it about a month ago with water soluable fertalizer for acid loving plants a 21-7-7+ micronutrients from envy. i will also post another picture of the base, i planted it about 4inches above the graft,i was also wondering if i should cut the yellow and other damaged leaves from it? Thank you all so so much! Just tell me what else my baby needs :)
20210624_195658.jpg
20210624_195627.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see old insect damage which appears to be the cause of the yellowing. I cannot see the base of the tree to see if it is planted too deep. I do see suckers at the base and these should be removed ASAP as these suckers are taking energy from the rest of the tree. I also see a minor or just beginning micro-nutrient deficiency. What have you fed the tree with and when?
I did respond to you but i posted under mine i think so sorry

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also if you need any better or different pictures let me know

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's fine. It is planted at the correct height.
Should i feed it again? And is that the right food for it? Would it be better to get like so relaease fertalizer stakes? Also i saw these bugs mating and hanging out on the tree, can you tell me what they are and what i can do to get rid of them
20210625_130229.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you planted that in a pot? It looks hungry, and I wonder if it can get any nutrients? It's plain to see that insects have had a nibble but I reckon it will survive that.
Thank you, i did respond to you and chuck both but i just responded to my post.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
On the last picture down at the bottom left corner, do you see how the color of the leaf is mottled, light green and dark green. That is a sign of a nutrient deficiency.
That's fine. It is planted at the correct height.
You planted it 4 inches ABOVE THE GRAFT? I made a mistake. I thought that enlargement of the trunk was the graft point. If it is planted 4 inches above the graft it is planted WAY, WAY too deep. Google root flare and google root flare grafted trees to understand better of what Is going on. If the graft is buried I am afraid you will have to dig up the tree and plant it in a hole of the proper depth, and, do it ASAP. Those two bugs look like june bugs. Very harmful, especially to your lawn as the grubs eat the roots of the grass. There really isn't much you can use to get rid of these things although spinosad is of some help. To protect your lawn use beneficial nematodes. Now for the fertilizing. That fertilizer you used is a chemical fertilizer and is much more suited for your lawn than it is for any tree. Those spikes you referred to are about useless. You need to fertilize this young tree at last 3 times per year, preferably 4 times. You should use a good GRANULAR organic fertilizer. I don't know what is available there but Fox Farms, Dr Earth, Medina, Espoma, among others are all excellent fertilizers. Stay away from any Scotts or Miracle Grow products. Make sure the bag has OMRI on it

Reaction score
Country
United States
No it was my mistake the graft is 4in above ground the enlarged area is the graft (i believe ). The graft point is above where thegreen paint is. Ok i will get a different fertalizer. Should i trim the damaged leaves, orjust leave them? And for fertalizer should it be all purpose or acidic? Thanks again for your time

Reaction score
Country
United States
On the last picture down at the bottom left corner, do you see how the color of the leaf is mottled, light green and dark green. That is a sign of a nutrient deficiency.

You planted it 4 inches ABOVE THE GRAFT? I made a mistake. I thought that enlargement of the trunk was the graft point. If it is planted 4 inches above the graft it is planted WAY, WAY too deep. Google root flare and google root flare grafted trees to understand better of what Is going on. If the graft is buried I am afraid you will have to dig up the tree and plant it in a hole of the proper depth, and, do it ASAP. Those two bugs look like june bugs. Very harmful, especially to your lawn as the grubs eat the roots of the grass. There really isn't much you can use to get rid of these things although spinosad is of some help. To protect your lawn use beneficial nematodes. Now for the fertilizing. That fertilizer you used is a chemical fertilizer and is much more suited for your lawn than it is for any tree. Those spikes you referred to are about useless. You need to fertilize this young tree at last 3 times per year, preferably 4 times. You should use a good GRANULAR organic fertilizer. I don't know what is available there but Fox Farms, Dr Earth, Medina, Espoma, among others are all excellent fertilizers. Stay away from any Scotts or Miracle Grow products. Make sure the bag has OMRI on it
Sorry i did it again with the reply

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No it was my mistake the graft is 4in above ground the enlarged area is the graft (i believe ). The graft point is above where thegreen paint is. Ok i will get a different fertalizer. Should i trim the damaged leaves, orjust leave them? And for fertalizer should it be all purpose or acidic? Thanks again for your time
What is the Ph of your soil? Organic fertilizers do not differentiate between anything. They work great on everything, flowers, lawns, vegetables and trees. They are all completely natural. Granular fertilizers are mostly all slightly acidic because they are made from manures, usually poultry but others as well. Some are based with plant material such as alfalfa and are usually more neutral. Those yellowed leaves are serving no purpose, remove them. Save any leaves with any green left to them until they too are completely yellow. Start a spray regimen using a spinosad based insecticide. Do not use Neem unless it is for scale insects or insect eggs. Spray with Neem in the late fall after leaf fall and again in the early spring before bud break.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the Ph of your soil? Organic fertilizers do not differentiate between anything. They work great on everything, flowers, lawns, vegetables and trees. They are all completely natural. Granular fertilizers are mostly all slightly acidic because they are made from manures, usually poultry but others as well. Some are based with plant material such as alfalfa and are usually more neutral. Those yellowed leaves are serving no purpose, remove them. Save any leaves with any green left to them until they too are completely yellow. Start a spray regimen using a spinosad based insecticide. Do not use Neem unless it is for scale insects or insect eggs. Spray with Neem in the late fall after leaf fall and again in the early spring before bud break.
So the ph is around 7.5, is dr earth natural wonder organic fruit tree fertalizer ok? And is spinosad a soap? I found natural guard spinosad soap spray for organic gardening will that work?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
7.5 is just a little alkaline and nothing to worry about. The Dr Earth fruit tree fertilizer is a good fertilizer but when an organic fertilizer is specialized for a specific plant it is a marketing gimmick. You really don't need to spend the extra money. Their basic organic vegetable fertilizer will work just a good. And spinosad soap is a great product, in fact, it is better IMO than the regular spinosad. Just don't buy the premixed stuff. Get the concentrate if you can.

Ask a Question