Help! Juniper is dying..

Reaction score
Country
United States
We've had these juniper bushes growing fine on their own for about 60 years- they have always been green and healthy without any specific care besides pruning a few times each year. This year I started noticing these tiny white specs all over the bush mostly near the front corner. Then after a while I noticed dead brown parts on the bush in the same area. I did not put the two together at first and tried just pruning all of the dead brown parts. Now about a month later there are a ton more brown dead spots and it seems to be progressing down along the hedge row.

Assuming the problem is the white specs (mold, fungus, what?), can I treat the bush now with anything to kill these invaders, or whatever they might be? I noticed if I rub together with my fingers I can "clean" off the specs- ie they don't seem strongly attached, however blasting with a fairly strong hose doesn't seem to really clean them away and I can't rub the whole bush with my fingers!

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here and how we might treat it?

Attachments

• white_specs_03.jpg
    white_specs_03.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 78
  • white_specs_02.jpg
    white_specs_02.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 83
  • dying_juniper.jpg
    dying_juniper.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 83
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ugh! Seems like we should at leas try applying horticultural oil before just giving up. I don't think replanting this 80'x6' area of 60yr growth will be easy physically or financially. Hopefully we can save the back half that is still all green, and possibly eliminated the pests on the front half that is half brown and then hopefully have it recover..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The thing to learn from this experience is to ''nip it in the bud'' and eliminate this sort of problem as soon as it starts. On the one occasion I missed scale on my Euonymus, I cut the whole lot down to a stub, and burnt it all on the bonfire - checked the soil around the stumps for stragglers and left it at that. Now a year or four later, the plants are growing again.
I wish you luck.

Ask a Question