Squash fertilization help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Hello,

I can't seem to get a successful butternut squash even after hand pollination.

It's my first attempt growing them. The plant itself seems very healthy, and is putting out regular male and female flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How many times did you hand pollinate each flower? What is your location? Even though you transferred pollen that does not automatically ensure fertilization. Observe what insects do. They come back day after day to the same flower and this is what ensures fertilization. Temperatures are very important when growing squash and even though you are in zone 10 you will still have temps that will severely damage or kill squash plants, usually in Jan. or Feb. It takes winter squash longer to ripen in the winter and even if you did manage to have good pollination and fertilization you probably won't have time for a harvest. Squash, both summer and winter, should be planted in the spring. Humidity is another important factor. If too humid pollen becomes sticky and will not fertilize properly. 50%-60% relative humidity is what proper fertilization requires.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck,

I didn't realise both winter and summer had to be planted in spring. These were definitely sewn too late in the season.

They're in my back yard in Los Angeles, and the low winter sun does mean they're now not getting any direct sunlight. So everything else in pots with no trellis has been moved the front yard where the light hits.

So direct sew any squashes in April/May?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck,

I didn't realise both winter and summer had to be planted in spring. These were definitely sewn too late in the season.

They're in my back yard in Los Angeles, and the low winter sun does mean they're now not getting any direct sunlight. So everything else in pots with no trellis has been moved the front yard where the light hits.

So direct sew any squashes in April/May?
Depending on the temperatures it could be as early as March in 10b.

Ask a Question