Help I don't know what I'm doing (starting a plot)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
To make a raised bed, all you need is something to act as a wall. Bear in mind, if you use wood, it will break down over time. See how the wood was treated. Tail road ties are common, but they are covered in chemicals, and not the best option. Pressure treated lumber has chemicals added to it. You could do them, but do you’re research. Weed barrier cloth is worth looking into. I put mine under my plants, and used bagged soil on top in a garden I did years ago. Worked well. If you decide you like it, start a compost bin. Dead leaves in the fall, grass clippings, fruit and vegetable scraps, No meat! Eggshells are good to add, tea and coffee grounds. Wood shavings are good. Give it about a tear to break down, then toss worms in you can gather them after a good rain. I just emptied my bin for flower beds, I had tons of worms. For best effect on a compost bin, it needs stirring on occasion. We used a big plastic trash can, leaves on the bottom hadn’t broke down cause it wasn’t stirred enough. If you have a pond, or aquarium, when you change the water, or clean it out, that’s all good for plants. I turned my above ground pool into a pond, and the funk on the bottom is great for plants. Or if you go fishing, the scrap and guts can be burried in the garden too. Growing up, my grandpa would burry whole fish in the garden.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
To make a raised bed, all you need is something to act as a wall. Bear in mind, if you use wood, it will break down over time. See how the wood was treated. Tail road ties are common, but they are covered in chemicals, and not the best option. Pressure treated lumber has chemicals added to it. You could do them, but do you’re research. Weed barrier cloth is worth looking into. I put mine under my plants, and used bagged soil on top in a garden I did years ago. Worked well. If you decide you like it, start a compost bin. Dead leaves in the fall, grass clippings, fruit and vegetable scraps, No meat! Eggshells are good to add, tea and coffee grounds. Wood shavings are good. Give it about a tear to break down, then toss worms in you can gather them after a good rain. I just emptied my bin for flower beds, I had tons of worms. For best effect on a compost bin, it needs stirring on occasion. We used a big plastic trash can, leaves on the bottom hadn’t broke down cause it wasn’t stirred enough. If you have a pond, or aquarium, when you change the water, or clean it out, that’s all good for plants. I turned my above ground pool into a pond, and the funk on the bottom is great for plants. Or if you go fishing, the scrap and guts can be burried in the garden too. Growing up, my grandpa would burry whole fish in the garden.

No wonder I am so dump. My grandpas died before I was born!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Different strokes for different folks. He taught me to shoot well, a bit about how to garden. My grandma taught me how to clean, refinish antiques, and a bit more about gardening. I’ve grown up we’re at times all we had was a garden to live off of, trades veggies for meat. To this day, I hate ham and beans. And salmon cakes.

Ask a Question