HELP! How Do I Prune These??

Reaction score
Country
United States
So we went ahead and trimmed them up today. Well, the two in the front. Still have two more that are in worse condition to do on the side of our fenced yard.

Anyway, once we got out there and were really able to look at them, we found that the large amounts of snow we got this Winter (over 3 feet at one time at one point) crushed and broke a lot of the limbs creating some bald areas. And even had the cypress to the right leaning now. But I mentioned that before about the heavy snow on them. Just didn't know how much damage until today. Not much we can do about that. We just removed the snapped/dead branches and took off some live limbs from the bottom in order to free the surrounding bushes/shrubs/plants. I hope the plants that were in front and to the sides of these things make it this year. The entire backs of each of these plants were dead and brittle thanks to the cypresses lying on them and blocking the entire plants from getting sun.

The one cypress at the end of the house looks a little bare in the front on the one side because of some downed dead long limbs we needed to remove. We are looking to place something new and small in front of it so it doesn't look so bare there.

Anyway, this is how they look now. Please keep in mind the original pics I posted in the beginning of this thread were taken last Summer and the trees did NOT look like that now. They were no longer as full and bushy. Not sure if that's because it is the end of Winter or maybe that and a combination of the downed limbs from the snow, we don't know. All we know is that they have not been that bushy since Winter kicked in.

And we obviously did not add any new mulch yet. Nor did we clean out the beds yet of dead leaves and debris. That will come soon. We juts wanted to do these for now. And, like I said, we will most likely plant something in that one area to the right of the cypress on the left, so that it doesn't look so bare . BUT with something that will not get too big or out of hand.

Attachments

• 20160320_172826.jpg
    20160320_172826.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 224
  • 20160320_172837.jpg
    20160320_172837.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 209
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your doing good, I wouldn't be afraid to keep cutting the small stuff off the main branches and raise it up more .
Showing the trunk is a good thing

Ask a Question