HELP! How Do I Prune These??

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah I'm just gonna have to get over the fear and just do it. Little at a time!!

Also, did you have a chance to look at the other pics of the stuff I posted above? Do you have any idea what they are?

Oh and, do I need BOTH loppers AND sheers? Or one or the other (I know you said loppers but that video shows the guy using sheers)? I already have a small pair of hand sheers and a small saw. Thanks again!

The hardest cut is the first one. Get the bottom cleaned up first, grab a drink, stand back and eyeball it. Look at what doesn't belong there in you mind and go cut it off. Just don't cut off too much at a time. You can always cut more off but you can't put the cut parts back. All it amounts to is a haircut, no big deal at all, and it will grow back. Google false cypress tree pics. There are all kinds of pictures there

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
have no idea what those other shrubs are. but if you have time, take a length to a near by nursery maybe someone will know. Hate to say this, judging from the position of the shrubs your about to trim, it seems that the prior owners did not go to any length to be "picky--or unique" with selection of shrubs, thus the unknown you have, will probably be easy to name at a local nursery.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I cringe at the idea of one day not being in my gardens, "selling the house" and someone has no clue what to do, or what they are, because many of mine are unique and well thought about before placement. Maybe I should do a walk around tutorial of the property for You tube. (ahhh a idea)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yeah I'm just gonna have to get over the fear and just do it. Little at a time!!

Also, did you have a chance to look at the other pics of the stuff I posted above? Do you have any idea what they are?

Oh and, do I need BOTH loppers AND sheers? Or one or the other (I know you said loppers but that video shows the guy using sheers)? I already have a small pair of hand sheers and a small saw. Thanks again!
If the limbs are good sized shears are about useless. Shears are good for the smaller tips and easier to handle on a ladder. They will also give a more even effect than loppers but if you can get by with just shears that's great. As far as the other trees you will need to get some close up shots of the leaves and how they are arranged before we can give a definite answer as to what they are

Reaction score
Country
United States
Funny enough.......the landscaper and several others who saw the property said they actually did pick out good plants and whatnot to place around the property as they were all low maintenance. In the front there is mulch and the entire back around our enclosed/fenced yard actually have a rock base around the trees/shrubs/etc. The one landscaper said that was a good idea. No clue if it is or isn't but I know the rock edging around the pool area in a pain in the ass as it constantly has twigs, leaves and other crap in it and there is no easy way to really clean it out. The landscaper that gave the quote said when it came to the rocks around the plants and trees, he was just gonna take a leaf blower and blow all the debris out and then fix things up.

Anyway, the previous owner seemed to know what things were when she was here after the sale (they came back to show us how to open the pool). She briefly spouted off some names of some of the things but I wasn't worried about it at the time and didn't take notes. Plus it's not like she went into any great detail. It was kind of mentioned in passing, really.

You should do a video. May come in handy for others. I would LOVE to know what everything is that I have. Once we moved in last year I did go around the entire property and took pics of everything and posted them on FB for my one friend to see. She's good with this stuff. Anyway, she was able to identify most of everything I posted and tried to give pointers on how and when to prune and stuff.

have no idea what those other shrubs are. but if you have time, take a length to a near by nursery maybe someone will know. Hate to say this, judging from the position of the shrubs your about to trim, it seems that the prior owners did not go to any length to be "picky--or unique" with selection of shrubs, thus the unknown you have, will probably be easy to name at a local nursery.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got it!!

As for better pics, I can't get any of the leaves right now as there aren't any (I'm in South Central Pa and, although Spring seems to be coming early, they haven't bloomed just yet...lol). I have no other pics of them or close ups. That's all I took last year. The best I could do is take pics of the bare trees now and what they look like but I doubt you'd be able to identify them now with no leaves (although I know some people may be able to).

If the limbs are good sized shears are about useless. Shears are good for the smaller tips and easier to handle on a ladder. They will also give a more even effect than loppers but if you can get by with just shears that's great. As far as the other trees you will need to get some close up shots of the leaves and how they are arranged before we can give a definite answer as to what they are

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Got it!!

As for better pics, I can't get any of the leaves right now as there aren't any (I'm in South Central Pa and, although Spring seems to be coming early, they haven't bloomed just yet...lol). I have no other pics of them or close ups. That's all I took last year. The best I could do is take pics of the bare trees now and what they look like but I doubt you'd be able to identify them now with no leaves (although I know some people may be able to).
That's OK. I doubt if they will be going anywhere. Be better if pics taken during bloom anyway

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very nice! Funny....at the end of the video there is one by PlantAmnesty. I actually wrote to them earlier too for help and suggestions! Told you guys I was really trying to do my research. LOL Funny that one of their videos showed up. There were LOTS of different things in that video!! So much! I'd cry thinking about taking are of all that! LOL

Quick tip, if you turn your phone sideways to record video, it will be wider and not have those black bars on the side.

In the meantime @Clueless_Gardner have a walk around. Looks like the cell video makes it narrow. there are more on this channel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Funny enough.......the landscaper and several others who saw the property said they actually did pick out good plants and whatnot to place around the property as they were all low maintenance.

It's a easy plant to live with , just raise it up like a umbrella and let the top stay natural . Don't try to make it some thing it's not
The height will look good

I have one growing in my yard it is 0 maintenance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our neighbor has a cypress tree and they prune it regularly otherwise it will cover their house. It is planted in the front yard which was not intended for a big tree. The pruning is like making it into the desired shape. For our neighbor, they usually prune it to be round but sometimes they shape it like an animal. It grows fast with the branches so it's no that delicate. But the cutting of branches should not be excessive.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you!

Our neighbor has a cypress tree and they prune it regularly otherwise it will cover their house. It is planted in the front yard which was not intended for a big tree. The pruning is like making it into the desired shape. For our neighbor, they usually prune it to be round but sometimes they shape it like an animal. It grows fast with the branches so it's no that delicate. But the cutting of branches should not be excessive.

Ask a Question