Help! Enormous Prickly Weed!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

I finally moved into a place where I can start gardening. I figured I'd keep it simple with some containers along the foundation of the house.

This monster is my first obstacle. I knew I should have pulled it up when I first saw it starting a month ago. but I didn't. and now...
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Can somebody tell me what this is so I can come up with a plan of attack?

Let me know if you need any more info or pictures! Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello!

I finally moved into a place where I can start gardening. I figured I'd keep it simple with some containers along the foundation of the house.

This monster is my first obstacle. I knew I should have pulled it up when I first saw it starting a month ago. but I didn't. and now...
View attachment 13208 View attachment 13209 View attachment 13210
Can somebody tell me what this is so I can come up with a plan of attack?

Let me know if you need any more info or pictures! Thanks for any help!
That is what we here in Texas call a Bull Thistle. Just chop it down at ground level. It won't come back unless it drops seed and it hasn't started blooming yet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What he said (y) But get yourself some good thick gloves first!

Welcome to the forum! :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
With thistle, I usually use a shovel to slice through the plant near the base. when the prickly mess is out of the way, I dig up the roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you don't want to dig up the roots , just dig around the base and pour vinegar around it it will kill the roots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes this is Bull Thistle (Cirsium vulgare), also known as Spear Thistle, for its elongate terminal leaf lobe.
This is undeniably a weedy and ruderal species, but I'm not too worried about it getting out of control in a typical garden situation.
I admit I usually let any occasional garden waifs grow in my garden as long as possible, both for biomass and dramatic beauty.
Also, honeybees enjoy the flowers and goldfinches adore the seeds.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I admit I usually let any occasional garden waifs grow in my garden as long as possible, both for biomass and dramatic beauty.
Also, honeybees enjoy the flowers and goldfinches adore the seeds.
Surely you jest!!! There are far less obnoxious weeds that birds love and produce biomass. Thistle not welcome here.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm with the Scots on this one. Thistles are beautiful. Most of the thistles in my garden are somewhat more accepted in polite society: Centaurea, Cynara, Echinops, etc., but I'll take a few free Bull Thistles, if any deign to germinate.
Of course, if I was getting dozens or hundreds of Bull Thistle seedlings, then it would get tedious. I see why it's different for you, your large and crop-based garden crosses the line into agriculture. No time to play among the thistles in that set-up.
What I really should try growing again is some of our California native thistles. Those are rare treasures in every sense of the word.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm with the Scots on this one. Thistles are beautiful. Most of the thistles in my garden are somewhat more accepted in polite society: Centaurea, Cynara, Echinops, etc., but I'll take a few free Bull Thistles, if any deign to germinate.
Of course, if I was getting dozens or hundreds of Bull Thistle seedlings, then it would get tedious. I see why it's different for you, your large and crop-based garden crosses the line into agriculture. No time to play among the thistles in that set-up.
What I really should try growing again is some of our California native thistles. Those are rare treasures in every sense of the word.
And that is just what you will get if you leave one of these weeds go to seed. Hundreds of them. And they are quite painful if one wears shorts in the garden but I suppose the most detrimental aspect of this obnoxious weed is that it is the favorite plant on which the Leaf Footed Stinkbug lays its eggs, even more so than on squash plants. You have these weeds around your property and you will have a stinkbug problem.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...Of course, if I was getting dozens or hundreds of Bull Thistle seedlings, then it would get tedious.
It would be a lot more than tedious. Neighbors do NOT appreciate those who "treasure" thistles. They spread like wildfire and are hated by most gardeners as a result...of course California is different :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those that don't manage their 'weeds' will have problems. Clearly I manage mine better than most, if I can live happily with a Bull Thistle or two. As for spines, thorns, and prickles, bring them on. Of course, Bull Thistle (Cirsium vulgare) isn't as gloriously spiny as my Agave and cacti, but it passes muster.

Predatory insects also find habitat and egg-laying sites on 'weeds' ...as for Stink Bugs, leaf-footed or otherwise (Pentatomidae), most are generalist feeders and will always find someplace to lay their eggs.

My point is two-fold. 1) That Bull Thistle pictured in the first post is a beautiful plant that should be admired. Many would plant an Acanthus or Echinops for similar effect, I know I have. ...and 2) What we dismiss as 'weeds' can also have benefits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The only good thing about this thread is that it is 5 years old and that obnoxious weed is long dead and gone.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah here we go... It's an old thread (boo). I'm from California (boo), I can identify more Texas plants (native and otherwise) than you (boo), and you're bitter, and miss the good ol' days of the Kentish Mafia... Boo!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah here we go... It's an old thread (boo). I'm from California (boo) and I can identify more Texas plants (native and otherwise) than you (boo), and you're bitter, and miss the good ol' days of the Kentish Mafia... Boo!
Getting a little thin skinned aren't you? Perhaps all that education you have received has inhibited you from gaining a little common sense when it comes to certain plants.

Ask a Question