Hello from the foothills of the Canadian Rocky Mountains

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
OK about the feeding. I would love that rock. We drove all the way to Dorset to see Durdle Door
17821-69d801e9295a1185ee14f37e0382cd47.jpg

just because I read it in my A level Geography.

So how many acres of land do you have then? Must be massive! My ex said that his sister's house in Australia is massive and seeing our house was probably a culture shock for her. My brother came to see me from South Carolina and he laughed at the size of our cars. He called them matchboxes.. too small!

Attachments

• imgres.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 221
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I just have the plot my house sits on. The homestead was two separate sections miles apart so about 1300 acres. My siblings and I sold the land in 2002 when my aunt died. She had lived on that land all her life and never married. The farm I grew up on was 640 acres and after mom died 5yrs ago we sold that farm as well.

OK, I was only 10yrs old when dad took us to the UK for a holiday but I also remember that there were no big cars. We toured around in a caravan or motor home. Five of us slept in that thing. And dad gave us plenty of scares trying to adjust to driving on the other side of the road.lol
When I watch those UK house hunting shows I always note how narrow the hallways appear. But I would opt for the history of the home over the space. The oldest home in this city was built in the late 1870's, it's a shack down by the river but still standing. It felt like a dream to me, waking up the first morning in Ireland and in a farm house built in the late 1600's. As a ten year old kid, life doesn't get any better than that.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very interesting. The figures are just HUGE!

Reaction score
Very touching to read that Johnny. You feel a great attachment to it I'm sure. Have you walked in those tracks ? I would.

Hello alp.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Runny,
A few years before dementia forced dad into the nursing home, we got a call from a local historian. She was informed that the Blackfoot Indian trail ran through the homestead land and wanted to know if we could still see the track their travois made. Dad wasn't sure, he remembered that it was still visible in pasture that had never been plowed. So Dad and I went out to the farm and with my Aunt we went hunting for the tracks but could find none. So Dad and my Aunt took me over to their old school about half a mile away. The building was being used to store hay and all the brick had been stripped off it. Dad wandered off to the corner of the yard and called us over. When we got over to him he shoved the tall grass away with his foot and said, "And what's this Barbara?" Big smile on my aunts face, "That's our pony cart tracks." lol
So I didn't walk in Indian tracks but I sure walked in dad's pony cart tracks.

Reaction score
I get it Johnny. Must have been quite a moment. (y)

Night everyone. It's 11.30pm here in England.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Runny,
A few years before dementia forced dad into the nursing home, we got a call from a local historian. She was informed that the Blackfoot Indian trail ran through the homestead land and wanted to know if we could still see the track their travois made. Dad wasn't sure, he remembered that it was still visible in pasture that had never been plowed. So Dad and I went out to the farm and with my Aunt we went hunting for the tracks but could find none. So Dad and my Aunt took me over to their old school about half a mile away. The building was being used to store hay and all the brick had been stripped off it. Dad wandered off to the corner of the yard and called us over. When we got over to him he shoved the tall grass away with his foot and said, "And what's this Barbara?" Big smile on my aunts face, "That's our pony cart tracks." lol
So I didn't walk in Indian tracks but I sure walked in dad's pony cart tracks.

Hey, how come I missed this.. Very interesting..

Ask a Question