Hello from Los Angeles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I look forward to getting to know you all and this lovely forum. I am brand new to gardening and excited to learn. I just started my garden about a month ago. I bought a whole mess of books, read them all, and still feel like I'm guessing at everything. I'm having loads of fun though, and slowly getting used to all the bees and spiders... Sort of... Lol.

While this is supposed to be me introducing myself, I would love to break the ice and get to know a little bit about all of you! If you like, share one odd/ fun fact about yourself. I'll get the ball rolling-

Butterflies totally freak me out. I'm trying to train myself to be at peace with the little buggers and their spindly legs and flappy wings **shivers** . They look lovely from afar.... One day I will love them, one day...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello and Welcome to the forum. When I was a little one Butterflies would scare the heck out of me, my G mom told me they were just little angles and they would watch over me, after that I liked seeing the around and I still believe the are.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! I'm sorry your region is suffering from drought, how is that affecting your nascent gardening? Here in Michigan we're having plenty of rain (we don't tan, we rust, LOL) and I'd be happy to send you guys some if I could.

I have four ankles instead of two. Really. There's your odd fact about me. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Hello everyone! I look forward to getting to know you all and this lovely forum. I am brand new to gardening and excited to learn. I just started my garden about a month ago. I bought a whole mess of books, read them all, and still feel like I'm guessing at everything. I'm having loads of fun though, and slowly getting used to all the bees and spiders... Sort of... Lol.

While this is supposed to be me introducing myself, I would love to break the ice and get to know a little bit about all of you! If you like, share one odd/ fun fact about yourself. I'll get the ball rolling-

Butterflies totally freak me out. I'm trying to train myself to be at peace with the little buggers and their spindly legs and flappy wings **shivers** . They look lovely from afar.... One day I will love them, one day...
Welcome Tardisgal. Maybe the are flutterbies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum @TardisGal! Great to have you here (y)

Gardening is a very addictive hobby, you're going to love it :D

My interesting fact - I can write backwards and upside down fairly fluently. Kinda looks like Elvish as I'm writing. Perks of being a leftie I guess!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome!

Welcome! I'm sorry your region is suffering from drought, how is that affecting your nascent gardening? Here in Michigan we're having plenty of rain (we don't tan, we rust, LOL) and I'd be happy to send you guys some if I could.

Beth, I went mostly all drought tolerant with my plant choices. ( I did spoil myself with 2 or 3 small water lovers... Shhh don't tell anyone!) Once they are established, they should be happy campers with minimal watering, and I use some basic water recycling practices to water the garden with. Although I hear El Niño is on our way in the next few months so we're looking at some major drought relief.

I mostly worry about the sun baking my plants. Even the ones which can deal with heat, my bed gets nearly 8 hours of sun and in the direct sunlight temps have been hitting around 100 F + on occasion. I'm sure I'm worrying over nothing, but man it's toasty out. I wish I tanned! I'm all pasty so I just burn to a red crisp.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, TardisGal! Nice to meet you and best of luck with your new project, this hobby can be a really wonderful one, but don't be surprised if at first it turns out to be a bit more frustrating than relaxing ;) It took me a while to get gardening right and not kill most of my plants :p But here I am welcoming you to our forum :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome TardisGal. :) You will be surprised at how quickly you learn about your garden and everybody here is willing to give you a hand along the way.

While this is supposed to be me introducing myself, I would love to break the ice and get to know a little bit about all of you! If you like, share one odd/ fun fact about yourself.

I live on a small three legged island in the middle of the Irish Sea! ;) :D

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
You are welcome. You will enjoy sharing in this forum. There is a lot that you can do in your garden, be ready to learn some tips here. I hope you will also share with us about your garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
welcome to the group. Been to your area a few times over the years. I have relatives who live in Whittier. and relatives who live in Orange County. And a good friend also. Good luck to you with your gardening and the drought situation.

Ask a Question