Hello from Sunny California (Los Angeles)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Hello All,

I am new to gardening. Due to the drought I have decided to change from the typical lawn and ornamentals to low water plants with a focus on food crops. So far we (my wife and I) have planted basil, rosemary, red bell pepper, and two new fruit trees. We also have two mature orange trees that produce well. I am going to try a low water lawn alternative called Fleur de Lawn which has a mixture of grasses and flowering ground cover (clover mostly I think).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Welcome and your lawn idea sounds lovely. Been to the LA area twice in my life so far for weddings. my husbands brother and his wife live in Huntington beach. I also have an old friend of mine, who moved there from Shaker Heights area, have not seen in years. Recall it crowded and lots of people there. Take care.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)A warm welcome to you @beermanpete. I would love to see pix of your Fleur de Lawn when that gets going. It sounds like you and your wife are making some very good choices(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome! As Beverly said, you have made some good choices. The clover in your "Lawn" will attract bees also, which will help out your herbs and vegetables.
We are usually in a water conservation mode, and have rain harvesting equipment, but this year we are wet, wet, wet. Your time will come, and you'll have sufficient water to grow all sorts of plants!

Ask a Question