Hello from Denmark

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is always best to take notice of more local garden advice. There can be a big problem of not understanding local conditions and local plants especially on a forum like this one. People seem to use this forum from all over the world, which can make it quite a puzzle. Language can be an obstacle - as in the English/American one you have already mentioned :giggle:
Some things, of course are universal, but the geographical differences as well as mannerisms - oh, and sense of humour (or lack of it) are sometimes a right old pain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Denmark
Yes, one would think it was obvious that what can grow well in one part of the world cannot necessarily do so in other parts of the world. When the time comes I think I'll also have a chat with a local gardener. And I'll read Danish garden books too, because English ones aren't aimed at Danish conditions.
Do you think that conditions in large parts of England are similar enough to Denmark that you guys can give realistic advice, including on plant choices too? For instance, a soggy garden in England is close enough to a soggy garden in Denmark?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
....so prattle on ;) (Disclaimer: No offense meant to Americans of course, we just happen to be neighbours to the UK, hence the wish to say 'cheers' in stead of 'thanks', call crisps 'crisps' and use some of the funniest expletives in the entire English language).
Also, as you can tell, I have a tendency to prattle on myself! :X3:
Don't worry about us Americans, we're use to being offended;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, one would think it was obvious that what can grow well in one part of the world cannot necessarily do so in other parts of the world. When the time comes I think I'll also have a chat with a local gardener. And I'll read Danish garden books too, because English ones aren't aimed at Danish conditions.
Do you think that conditions in large parts of England are similar enough to Denmark that you guys can give realistic advice, including on plant choices too? For instance, a soggy garden in England is close enough to a soggy garden in Denmark?
Yep, you are quite right, and soggy is soggy wherever the soggy weather happens and at whatever time. This week in the UK - it is quite soggy. The sog keeps falling and we are not getting our fair share of the sunshine, in fact it is nearly as soggy as soggy Wales o_O and let me tell you, Wales is always soggy. They tell me the sheep there have to wear wellington boots !!

Most of you don't deserve it. ;)
BUT... some of them do! However, I am pleased to say that roadrunner is usually quite good :playful:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Denmark
Yep, you are quite right, and soggy is soggy wherever the soggy weather happens and at whatever time. This week in the UK - it is quite soggy. The sog keeps falling and we are not getting our fair share of the sunshine, in fact it is nearly as soggy as soggy Wales o_O and let me tell you, Wales is always soggy. They tell me the sheep there have to wear wellington boots !!

:ROFLMAO: That sogs! We've had a record-breakingly wet month too. I'm not impressed. Our cows are using umbrellas.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forums @LadyDay you don't have to worry about your English because i can't find anything wrong with it.
It's good that your land slopes down into the creek, so you won't get any flooding in your house hopefully.

If it's always wet it's best to find some plants that like that sort of thing, you will have to find out what type of soil that you've got before you plant anything.
Take your time to decide what you want but you can always change it. We've changed ours over the years.
Have fun doing it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Denmark
Hello and welcome to the forums @LadyDay you don't have to worry about your English because i can't find anything wrong with it.
It's good that your land slopes down into the creek, so you won't get any flooding in your house hopefully.

If it's always wet it's best to find some plants that like that sort of thing, you will have to find out what type of soil that you've got before you plant anything.
Take your time to decide what you want but you can always change it. We've changed ours over the years.
Have fun doing it.

Thank you for the welcome.
I definitely hope it's possible to find plants that are happy with the conditions. We have to find out exactly how wet different parts of the garden are and when and how much shade the trees cast once they have leaves and the sun is out. Judging by Google, the number of plants that are happy with both wet soil and shade half the day is limited. But there seems to be some, like some ferns and irises. I love both!
Is there a trick to finding out what type of soil one has?
My plan of attack is to watch the garden carefully until next spring, read a bunch of books and with the help of the books and the internet (asking a lot of questions of you lot ;) ) plan the garden out on paper, which plants and where to put them. Then start out simple and work my way up. I expect there will be changes along the way, as I learn more. I don't expect to be able to create paradise on earth right out the gate. But I'm sure that's part of the fun, letting the garden evolve along the way.
I am also lucky to have a mother and a mother in law who are both excellent at gardening, which can come in handy for someone who barely knows how to use a hoe!
It's going to be a fun project!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Your welcome
I agree with what your plan is going to be and that's great.
You can get soil test kits to help you understand your soil, should be able to get them from a garden centre or from Amazon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Denmark
Your welcome
I agree with what your plan is going to be and that's great.
You can get soil test kits to help you understand your soil, should be able to get them from a garden center or from Amazon.

Thanks for the advice. I will figure it out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Denmark is on a latitude with Northern England and Scotland, so you shouldn't be too much different from us in what grows, maybe not the things we think of as half hardy. You have the advantage of being part of a continent, rather than stuck out in the Atlantic like us. One of Dad's frequent jokes was that 'Other countries have climates, England has weather.'
That is why Ireland and Wales are so green and beautiful, the wind comes in off the ocean and dumps a lot of water on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Denmark
Denmark is on a latitude with Northern England and Scotland, so you shouldn't be too much different from us in what grows, maybe not the things we think of as half hardy. You have the advantage of being part of a continent, rather than stuck out in the Atlantic like us. One of Dad's frequent jokes was that 'Other countries have climates, England has weather.'
That is why Ireland and Wales are so green and beautiful, the wind comes in off the ocean and dumps a lot of water on them.

I do really understand how you feel! While we aren't out in the middle of the ocean like you, the Gulf Stream is still a big factor, which means it rarely gets really cold or really hot, usually just dreary and grey. You're never far from the coast in Denmark. At least it's pretty to look at.
Lets hope wet does indeed mean green and beautiful. :D Risky or not, I was convinced by people around me and we signed the papers for the house and the sellers did too. I am officially a garden owner in a few days, when the bank and our legal advisor have also signed. I'm so excited! The house is pretty much perfect and the garden will be unique and lovely despite being wet. If things get flooded, heads are gonna roll though! I'm making sure we're not keeping anything irreplaceable at floor height, just in case. The risky feeling really does bother me a lot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Congratulations, may you be very happy there. None of the big things we do , like buying houses or bringing up children, are without some worry, but they usually more than compensate with the joy they bring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Denmark
Congratulations, may you be very happy there. None of the big things we do , like buying houses or bringing up children, are without some worry, but they usually more than compensate with the joy they bring.

Thank you. Considering how overwhelming it is to buy a house, I have no idea how people manage to have children without worrying themselves sick, that's an even bigger deal! o_O I think you're right that the joy makes up for the frayed nerves though. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just think, you will be able to grow Gunnera manicata
1621716516481.png
Mine died because the ground here gets too dry.

Wishing you joy and happiness in your new home - don`t worry, having children isn`t that difficult - just let them know who is boss !! Maybe you can install a ducking stool :LOL:

Ask a Question