Hello from Denmark

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Denmark is on a latitude with Northern England and Scotland, so you shouldn't be too much different from us in what grows, maybe not the things we think of as half hardy. You have the advantage of being part of a continent, rather than stuck out in the Atlantic like us. One of Dad's frequent jokes was that 'Other countries have climates, England has weather.'
That is why Ireland and Wales are so green and beautiful, the wind comes in off the ocean and dumps a lot of water on them.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Denmark
Denmark is on a latitude with Northern England and Scotland, so you shouldn't be too much different from us in what grows, maybe not the things we think of as half hardy. You have the advantage of being part of a continent, rather than stuck out in the Atlantic like us. One of Dad's frequent jokes was that 'Other countries have climates, England has weather.'
That is why Ireland and Wales are so green and beautiful, the wind comes in off the ocean and dumps a lot of water on them.

I do really understand how you feel! While we aren't out in the middle of the ocean like you, the Gulf Stream is still a big factor, which means it rarely gets really cold or really hot, usually just dreary and grey. You're never far from the coast in Denmark. At least it's pretty to look at.
Lets hope wet does indeed mean green and beautiful. :D Risky or not, I was convinced by people around me and we signed the papers for the house and the sellers did too. I am officially a garden owner in a few days, when the bank and our legal advisor have also signed. I'm so excited! The house is pretty much perfect and the garden will be unique and lovely despite being wet. If things get flooded, heads are gonna roll though! I'm making sure we're not keeping anything irreplaceable at floor height, just in case. The risky feeling really does bother me a lot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Congratulations, may you be very happy there. None of the big things we do , like buying houses or bringing up children, are without some worry, but they usually more than compensate with the joy they bring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Denmark
Congratulations, may you be very happy there. None of the big things we do , like buying houses or bringing up children, are without some worry, but they usually more than compensate with the joy they bring.

Thank you. Considering how overwhelming it is to buy a house, I have no idea how people manage to have children without worrying themselves sick, that's an even bigger deal! o_O I think you're right that the joy makes up for the frayed nerves though. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just think, you will be able to grow Gunnera manicata
1621716516481.png
Mine died because the ground here gets too dry.

Wishing you joy and happiness in your new home - don`t worry, having children isn`t that difficult - just let them know who is boss !! Maybe you can install a ducking stool :LOL:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just think, you will be able to grow Gunnera manicata View attachment 80251 Mine died because the ground here gets too dry.

Wishing you joy and happiness in your new home - don`t worry, having children isn`t that difficult - just let them know who is boss !! Maybe you can install a ducking stool :LOL:
It's not having the children that is the problem, it's getting rid of them. Our youngest (28 coming up 29) is coming to visit tomorrow. I'll have to see if I can sort out some garden jobs poor old dad can't manage :)

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Denmark
Just think, you will be able to grow Gunnera manicata View attachment 80251 Mine died because the ground here gets too dry.

Wow, those are magnificent! I just googled them. They can become GIANT! Very cool! We're having some of those!
Haha. Maybe we should have children anyway. Dipping them in the river when they misbehave sounds like excellent parenting! :ROFLMAO:
Thank you for the well wishes. I have already started reading my first gardening book. I tend to get ahead of myself when I can research stuff.

It's not having the children that is the problem, it's getting rid of them. Our youngest (28 coming up 29) is coming to visit tomorrow. I'll have to see if I can sort out some garden jobs poor old dad can't manage :)

I know my parents have that same problem. :X3: If the children are hard to get rid of they may as well be put to work! After all, you kept them fed and clothed and under a roof for many years! ;)

Ask a Question