Hello from Southport, England

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks hope you’re all well in these challenging times. I’ve been a member of this forum for quite some time but never quite got around to posting anything. About me, well We’ve recently moved from having a shared south facing garden with more space than I could shake a stick at, to a much smaller segmented, largely north facing new build with the heaviest soil I’ve ever seen. This gives us five sub gardens, about the size of a border but this doesn’t phase me. Also I have an indoor house plant collection coming on and I do love a Calathea, having had a Fred and Rufibarba for about three years. Anyway, happy to be here and out of the shadows, finally.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well @FatGoatBlogs it`s very nice to have you on board. As for shadows, I reckon you have a fair few to contend with in a North facing garden.
It would be nice to have a look at your new patch - always good to take a couple of ''before'' photos - then you can keep checking how well you`ve done ;).....and we would love to have a nose !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spent a lot of time in Southport over the years. Thought all the soil round there was sandy.
We're quite far from the coast, closer to Scarisbrick and being on a Barratts building site, where the pile driver is a more common site than the average Sandpiper, our soil has come from way below. I'd love a bit of sand, churning up our shady border is a seemingly never-ending battle with the clay :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well @FatGoatBlogs it`s very nice to have you on board. As for shadows, I reckon you have a fair few to contend with in a North facing garden.
It would be nice to have a look at your new patch - always good to take a couple of ''before'' photos - then you can keep checking how well you`ve done ;).....and we would love to have a nose !

I have taken a few phone videos to upload to YouTube and link to, so watch this space:) Yes with the shade I'm trying to get more creative than Hostas and Ferns - which don't seem to be taking too well, various daffodils seem to be thriving but I will need something for the other 46 weeks of the year. One of the borders faces north-west so I'm putting a lot of faith in that - an Iceberg Rose and two Cornus stolonifera 'Flaviramea' no less. Whichever way it goes I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun...and backache!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are loads of good plants for shade - I can think of some really good climbers for a start! Looking forward to the videos :happy:

Ask a Question