Hello from Birmingham

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there folks.

It's just me, wobbling in and introducing myself.
You can call me John, or Wobbly... I am wobbly, due to metal knees, so it's not an insult. I also call myself Click-Clack-Clock, because my knees click, my neck clacks, and I tick over like a Rolex Oyster.

I'm a true Brummie, born within the sound of the Midland Red 'bus garage that was in Sheepcote street! (On a quiet Sunday, with a following wind, I could hear the drivers saying 'Have I got to take this old crate on the run again?'

Where I lived the topsoil was 4 feet deep, dark brown; with hardly any stones, and it lay over rich red sand. I live only a mile from there now, and my soil is like a mountain river bed, all gravel and duckers, which seem to grow!

I'm here to pick up a few tips, and maybe pass on a few if it chances that I know. I hope to make a few friends along the way.
I'm not very physical these days, but if anyone needs some spiritual guidance, I know where the nearest seance is held, on Thursdays, and other wet afternoons.

Seriously, if I can help, I will.

Cheers folks.

John Coggs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Great to have you here John! You're introduction really made me smile - welcome aboard! (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I just wants to say Hi and Welcome to Wobblycogs because the nickname made me smile but I will call you John from here on. :) I look forward to your posts!:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
Becky, Marlin, Lori, Deborah.

Thank you for the nice welcome. I am fagged out at the moment. Last week I had to get in some younger landscaping muscle to clear my garden of a massive bramble, (My word he was a big guy. Well over two yards high, and built like a Lego mountain. I wouldn't have defaulted on payment I tell you. Still he did a nice job, and he's coming around on a regular basis to keep the garden reasonably spruced, as far as the hard graft is concerned. The perils of getting old; but then it's better than the only alternative. I hadn't noticed the bramble by the way, 'cos it had hidden itself behind a rampant clematis from next door's garden, and kept playing hide and seek whenever I went out. Well it's gone, and my garden looks like a deserted quarry, with just my specimen shrubs dotted about. I'll get used to it I expect. On the bright side, we didn't find any rats, wasps' nests, or Japanese Knot-weed! Not even any earwigs:LOL: Nippy little beggars they are! What I did find was one of those cast iron garden benches I'd bought from Asda about ten years ago. (Or more?) So there's another job, replacing the wooden slats. It never ends does it?I don't mind that though, as I love a bit of woodworking. :)

The lawn looks like a battlefield too, so I am hoping that will recover. If not, I'll have it up and spread some gravel! I said the garden was like a quarry did I not! At least I can now buy some more Maples. Oh the expense! :)

I better go... The carers haven't turned up this morning, and my Lady needs to get up.

See you later folks.
Thank you again.

I think it's going to be nice here.

John

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums our kid

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Zigs.

Thank you. How's the weather down there? Not too much liquid sunshine I hope. I almost called you 'Jan Boy' but that's Devon innit, are-kid! :)
Lovely part of the world is Dorset. Wish I could afford to live there; Ha! Ha!
SWMBO and I spent our honeymoon in Weymouth in 1962. We went to Wareham for a look-see, and I thought I'd go swimming in the Blue Pool I recall, except I realised it would be too deep! Not daft y'know.

Happy Days!

Thanks again Zigs
John

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Zigs.

Thank you. How's the weather down there? Not too much liquid sunshine I hope. I almost called you 'Jan Boy' but that's Devon innit, are-kid! :)
Lovely part of the world is Dorset. Wish I could afford to live there; Ha! Ha!
SWMBO and I spent our honeymoon in Weymouth in 1962. We went to Wareham for a look-see, and I thought I'd go swimming in the Blue Pool I recall, except I realised it would be too deep! Not daft y'know.

Happy Days!

Thanks again Zigs
John

You're welcome :)

Nice down here at the moment.

I'm one generation removed from Hednesford :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
For some reason your posts are getting put on moderation John, bear with us if they don't show up straight away

Reaction score
That was quite an introduction, John :) Nice to meet you and welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your stay here and I'm 100% honest when I say I'm very glad to have you here! You sound like such a nice person, I love it when new members show their god sense of humor since day one :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome John, Glad you joined the forum, I don't mind getting old its just when the knees don't want to works as well as they use too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Fernsdaddy.

Oh, I don't mind getting old... I certainly don't want to think about the only alternative. :cool: I'm happy with my metal knees too, until I have to get up from a chair! Oooo Dear! :(

Ask a Question