Hello from Birmingham

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Sheal.

Thank you for the welcome.
Sorry to hear it's been persisting down at your end. It's been delightful here, and I even managed to dry a machine full of washing. :D

As to my gardening preferences, I don't grow veg any more. My garden got a dose of club root, so as there's a farm just five minutes walk away, I decided to turn the garden over to herbaceous borders, shrubs and Japanese Maples.

I also like Fuchsias, and used to grow them in earnest; until I needed a greenhouse, something for which I don't really have the space. Now my patch is in some semblance of order, I am going to concentrate on the lawn, and get it in good heart again. Whether or not I shall be doing the 'grunt' work is another matter! But I think I will manage the mower once or twice a week.

Thanks again

John

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome aboard John, that was a brilliant introduction post :D. You're going to fit right in here! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Ian.
I like Beaker too. That puppet-muppet always found my laughing spot.
I also like a beaker full of Schloer, which is all my digestive system can cope with these days. It tastes a little bit like wine, and if it bubbles up my nose it makes me sneeze. The main thing is, it's often on offer in Asda. Not that I am a cheapskate... :cool:

John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Sheal,

With me it's much the same. Although it depends on what I am trying to do. If I decide to nurture a 'show-stopping plant', I generally fail. If I want to grow the plants for my own satisfaction, and have them make a reasonable show, I do okay; plus success with the few hardy cultivars I have. They tend to look after themselves. It's down to how much time I have of course!

:sleep:

Cheers

John :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Just at present Sheal, all the supply nurseries are on hold, so I can spend a few weeks selecting the Fuchsias I would like, might like, can't do without! :)
I have some really pretty fuschias John but the plants all seem to be straggly. I know about pinching but I obviously don't know how to pinch properly:(:confused: I'd love to work it out because some of the flowers are exquisite, complicated and delicate :love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
That's a shame Deborah. I know it can be frustrating; like waiting for a bus at midnight, when they stopped running at 11pm!

It isn't feasible to explain exactly what to do., right here, but I think if you follow the advice here:

http://www.jwjonline.net/fuchsia_care.php

You will see if and where you might be going wrong.

The best variety I found for training (Particularly as a standard.) was Celia Smedley. I had one for years, then one winter we had a bitter spell of weather , which I am sad to say, did for the plant'.

Anyway, I hope that site helps you.

John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thanks John. The article is interesting. Amazing to see just how hard you cut back in winter. We don't have the severe frost problems so I don't think I need to lift them but I'll take notes for next winter. The next nice day I'll try my hand at pinching again. Maybe people,will have to get out of my way:ROFLMAO:

Ask a Question