Hello from a 1st time Gardener in Pennsylvania

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, Shelby, it sounds like you are doing good things. There is lots of good advice here. Sometimes I find it difficult with people on another continent, not knowing climate conditions, but my main advice would be give everything a try. There is not usually only one way to grow plants, they want to grow, try all the variations you think of, it will be a learning curve. Good luck.
Thank you Oliver! Much appreciated! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Just popping in to say hi, I'm new as well! It sounds like you are doing great work. My current focus is on houseplants, but one time I grew a tiny potato with my mom as a kid. I don't have my own yard now, but I remain proud of that potato.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just popping in to say hi, I'm new as well! It sounds like you are doing great work. My current focus is on houseplants, but one time I grew a tiny potato with my mom as a kid. I don't have my own yard now, but I remain proud of that potato.
i love it! Potatoes are the best. I feel intimated about planting them next year, but am planning to do so. Hopefully I can feel as proud :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
i love it! Potatoes are the best. I feel intimated about planting them next year, but am planning to do so. Hopefully I can feel as proud :D
I think you'll find Potatoes (Solanum tuberosum cvs.) especially easy to grow. Some people find harvesting easier in a large container (15 gallons or larger) or even in a raised bed with removable sides, but of course, digging them out of the ground isn't that difficult either.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you'll find Potatoes (Solanum tuberosum cvs.) especially easy to grow. Some people find harvesting easier in a large container (15 gallons or larger) or even in a raised bed with removable sides, but of course, digging them out of the ground isn't that difficult either.
Ooh, Thanks @Marck! I'd never thought about doing them in a container. I'm looking forward to reading up on them more

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The main problem people have with containers is keeping them cool, the top, green part of the plant, loves the sun, but the roots where the tubers grow like it cool and dark, a strip of shading material in front of the pots can work wonders.
Potatoes are also great as a first crop on a bit of reclaimed land. That is partly because they grow strongly enough to suppress most weeds, but also not only do you dig to plant them, you then earth them up and finally dig to harvest, so weeds take a real bashing and the ground is well turned for the next crop. I also mulch heavily with lawn mowings which adds still more to the effect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Thanks for the response, Esther! I have my bachelors, so this would just be supplemental. Sorry to hear the program was such a struggle. We are very blessed to have a strong (small) team here & a commercial kitchen onsite. We prepare a full lunch with our membership every day (some examples include vegetarian stuffed peppers, vegan butternut squash bisque, vegetable pad thai, & cashew crusted califlower steaks). We have a monthly menu planning meeting with our membership. We also pay for them to take Servsafe training, and do a thorough kitchen clean up every day after lunch (we are board of health certified so our procedures are standardized). We do have participants with ID diagnoses, & we partner them with other participants or staff to ensure protocols are followed; many of our members have built the habits over time though & are able to work independently. I've worked in other programs that were more broken, but feel really lucky to be here.
Don't know where I was that I missed your responds. that is awesome. I am going to pass it along to the present Division Director maybe she can do something to that goal I could not achieve when I was there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
any one near or lives in Chester Coutny, PA. I have Hardy Geraniums to give away. Later in the fall planning on digging out some Annabell babies, to thin out the group, probably get 4 of them, again, for that if you could contribute to the soil used in pots that would be awesome. But Hardy Geraniums will be harvested when you arrive, get fresh rooted, so bring a box.

Ask a Question