Hello and HELP HELP my poor tree!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone. I am new to this forum. I have recently gotten into gardening the last year and been having a lot of fun. I live in Chapel Hill, North Carolina which gives me tons of rain and the ability to do a lot more tropical plants than some of my northern neighbors can do.

This Spring I made two planters with what I think are blue point junipers... (can't remember what I bought... I can check from the nursery if no one can tell from the photos).

In the last week or so the one on my top deck has turned a yellow... I fear for its life. The other one down below looks fine. I am fairly confident I had spider mites earlier in the year but I sprayed all plants in the backyard with neem oil and pretty good about extra watering if anything looked bad. My yard is full of evergreens so I find it strange this is the only plant that has mites. I am starting to give extra watering to the top deck one.... please let me know if its too late or what I should do. This sucks!

Here is my tree and its sad color:
IMG_5981.JPG

Here is another angel with a green tree in the background to show the color problem:
IMG_5980.JPG

Here is my tree down below in another planter (control group :)
IMG_5982.JPG

What do I do? I enlist your help and I thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh dear, spider mites can be devastating to evergreens, and yours is looking pretty sad. I'm not sure what you can do at this point...don't overwater for sure. Not sure about evergreens in containers specifically but a general rule of thumb is let the soil get pretty dry and crispy in between watering.

Neem oil is a good strategy, how often have you applied it? May take several applications. Maybe also try a good spraying with dish soap and water.

Pests are more likely to infest a plant that is already a bit stressed (for whatever reason) so maybe something about the location of the affected tree compared to the others.

If you got this at a decent garden center they should have a warranty. The one I buy most of my plants from offer a year on perennials. I'd call them and ask about that...heck it may have already been infested when you bought it.

Anyhow welcome, and I hope your tree can be saved!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! Great to have you here :)

I'll second the advice from @Beth_B (y)

Ask a Question