Hedge suggestions please.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just an update. Yesterday afternoon the shrubs I ordered arrived from J Parkers but too late to plant so this morning I was planting by 8:30. The hedging space I wanted to fill in I've finally planted three Pieris Forest Flame; the soil here is excellent due to years of leaves being deposited upon it and being on such a steep slope it's also well drained. Since installing the CCTV cameras we've not had any further problems from the neighbours so hopefully this will continue.

Also arrived from Parker's are six shrubs and 40 free Narcissi Miniature Mixed. The shrubs are Ceanothus Repens; Choisya Ternata Sundance; Euonymus f Blonde Beauty; Euonymus for. Emerald Gaiety; Leucothoe Scarletta and Skimmia Japonica Rubella. The mixed six shrubs were and still are on special half price offer.

This is the first time I've ever bought plants online and I'm delighted with Parkers who have supplied top quality plants and bulbs all very well packed just ready for planting. All are now planted but as usual not in comfort; working on the slope is difficult but Gale is here as usual and was buffeting me around; I dislike having to nail everything down; the box; plastic bags; empty plant pots in fact anything I let go of always has a mind of its own and wants to fly; Blackie too had joined in soaking everything during the night so on with the wellies but in spite of moaning I'm pleased to have made so much progress to reach the planting stage at last; I've just come indoors for a hot brew as I felt perished in the cold wind.

I'm now drawing up a plan of where and what has been planted for future reference; I can't remember what I did a few minutes ago so will certainly forget what I've planted without the plan to refer to.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Lots of work there Colin. Wow. good job. I am also lucky not to have to worry about hedges or fences. Pretty decent neighbors all around me, "right now". we did have a spell about 15 years ago a family with mischievous boys, but they moved.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
With neighbours like these, pyracanthus is the best way forward. They have yellow or red berries, very pretty and deter thieves or intruder. Pieries are fantastic - very pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I have a soft spot for Choisya 'Sundance' @Colin. Two years after I planted a young one in my previous garden it was buried under snow, a very rare occurrence. When I came to freeing it I found the weight of the snow had laid it on it's side and partly uprooted it. Not giving up on it I cleared the snow away, gave it a heavy pruning as some of the branches were broken, then replanted the base and staked it for a year. It fully recovered and was standing at close on 5ft when I moved house a year ago.

I planted the Choisya at the back of the bed to lighten up the corner.
130.JPG

136.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very pretty, lime green, @Sheal

You've a lovely combo there. So pretty. What are those pink flowers to the right of the owl please? Head looks like sedum??

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What lovely pictures Sheal; the corner of your garden is delightful and the Choisya makes a wonderful back drop. (y)

I've just returned from my usual three supermarket shopping; in Morrison's I bought another Skimmia at £5 and also a Viburnum at £3; both decent sized plants for the money and these will be found a home shortly. Morrison's have some decent plants but obviously their choice is limited.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Alp. :) Yes the pink flowers are Sedum and turn a rich burgundy colour late in the season.

Thank you too Colin. :) I'll have to check out Morrison's here at some point. I've avoided it because it's in a busy area and the traffic is horrendous.

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Any hedge plant that grows fast tends to put on quite a height as well Colin. Hebe's would work in your climate and will only need trimming once every year or two. They aren't rampant growers and if you can find plants at a reasonable height when buying, say 2-3ft, you will have a reasonable sized hedge within a few years.

This hedge (about 90ft long) I grew from cuttings for my neighbour. They were planted out at 2ft high and putting on height at about 9 inches a year.

View attachment 28931

Sheal, just saw your post from October and had to comment.

Your hedge with that nicely weathered fence is a perfect combination, each compliments the other to form a striking postcard of a picture.

I really like when a minimalistic, well thought design comes together so well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If you feel the need for security, then without doubt trifoliate orange can help and is hardy to zone 6. It grows fast, and bending a branch down to earth will cause it to root. 2-3 meters, trimmable. Not exceptionally dense, but can grow in with other plants.

Ask a Question