Heat Mat

Reaction score
Country
United States
In a Greenhouse do you need a Heat Mat ?

I'm thinking of getting a Heater and have Fans circulating the air.

This is like January and February.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
In a Greenhouse do you need a Heat Mat ?

I'm thinking of getting a Heater and have Fans circulating the air.

This is like January and February.

big rockpile
We don't have anything growing in Jan/Feb - other than some cold hardy stuff that I want to give a bit of extra protection.

However, once I get to about April I'm starting to want more seedlings out in the greenhouse and in our climate it's still way too cold for anything that's not fully hardy. Last year we installed solar panels and solar generators for the house. By April there's a decent amount of sunshine so we have a moderate amount of free electricity to spare. We installed soil warming cables in our polytunnel raised bed, and also in sand trays on the bench in the polytunnel. This is a huge success - free to run in our case and enough to raise soil temp in beds and pots by a few degrees. By using fleece and even foil blankets when it's very cold you can trap the warmth in. It makes a big difference.

But trying to heat a large area and circulate the air in a greehnouse will cost a small fortune. I don't think it's viable. Better to heat a small space (e.g. a coldframe within a greenhouse.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wanting warm season stuff ready to go in the ground or blooming by April and May.

Plus got many Tropical Plants I'm wanting to carry through the Winter.

Right now we have too many Trees for Solar and here there is a problem getting set up but they won't turn it on so you are setting with no Electric. Some was saying the Electric Company will pay you for Generating extra. Not here you still have to pay every month and if you have to use their Electric it is extra.

So Solar isn't practical here.

big rockpile

Ask a Question