Heat mat or radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am starting my tomatoes and peppers in my greenhouse. The greenhouse Temps at night range between 38 and 50. Iam using a heat mat with a soil thermostat for germination. Question is,after germination, can I continue using the heat mat but with a lower setting (say55) or should I run the radiator on a thermostat. Better to have ambient air heated or continue to have the soil heated...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is best to take them right off the heat mat when they have germinated and try to keep them at about 50. Left on the mat, they will get very leggy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have herd that, I was wondering if thats from un controlled mats getting the soil too hot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A thermostat should be used with a heat mat and capillary matting to keep the seedlings moist underneath. Once germinated the seedlings need a bright place well away from direct sunlight so they can grow slowly. Overwatering at this stage will probably cause them to damp off. They need to be pricked out into single small pots when they have a pair of true leaves.

Ask a Question