Question about heat damaged Green Thujas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,

We had a nasty heatwave in north Texas last year and I had 5 Green Thujas that were about 2 years in the ground and doing fine but the heatwave killed two and really damaged the other 3. My question is will they come back? I've replaced the other 2 on each end but the 3 are about 50/50 green to dead and I don't want to waste a summer if they aren't going to survive. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

1679521784463.png

1679521795096.png

1679521804931.png

1679521815166.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with Logan, it would be less painful to get rid of them sooner rather than later. The dry hot extremes last summer caused us all a bit of pain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'd cut off the dead parts and start feeding with a water-soluble acid food every week. They won't grow from dead parts but the green growth can catch up with a boost. The roots are there and ready to go.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The fence is blocking the sun and keeping from growing. You need full sun.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd cut off the dead parts and start feeding with a water-soluble acid food every week. They won't grow from dead parts but the green growth can catch up with a boost. The roots are there and ready to go.
That's very true, but many years ago, when I tried a similar operation on some of mine, they looked very 'wonky' for a while, and took so long to start any recovery, they made me feel depressed every time I looked at them. So they were discarded.
Instead of these, it might be an idea to consider some nice big perennial grasses which would be a fair bit tougher

Ask a Question