Tomato seedling wilted and stunted from heat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

We just had several days of high 90s heat in the northeast, interspersed with thunderstorms. I have a “blue berry” cherry tomato seedling that seems to have permanently wilted and growth has stunted. It’s not quite dead and I’m hoping it can be saved. For comparison, a gardeners delight tomato that was planted at the same time is thriving and now three times the size of the blue berry.

Any suggestions on what I might do to save it?

Thanks
Andrew

Attachments

• 09E42F6F-3092-4E25-A9A2-06AA32CD9B3B.jpeg
    09E42F6F-3092-4E25-A9A2-06AA32CD9B3B.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 62
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all,

We just had several days of high 90s heat in the northeast, interspersed with thunderstorms. I have a “blue berry” cherry tomato seedling that seems to have permanently wilted and growth has stunted. It’s not quite dead and I’m hoping it can be saved. For comparison, a gardeners delight tomato that was planted at the same time is thriving and now three times the size of the blue berry.

Any suggestions on what I might do to save it?

Thanks
Andrew
I think it will be fine if you move it into partial shade for a few days and then gradually reintroduce it into full sun. If the soil is WET pull back the mulch and let it dry out a little.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! I actually added the mulch since I though that might help keep the roots cooler. I considered bringing it inside for a couple days.

Too much heat plus too much water is tricky.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Reaction score
Country
United States
They seem to drain well, water never pools in the container and there’s a fair amount of perlite.

Transplanted about 3 weeks ago, have been doing fine since the heat wave. And like I said, the other tomato is doing well.

Ask a Question