Have you ever grown a potato from a potato?

Rub

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
Do you only use purchased seed potatoes or have you planted a sprouted potato from a grocer or farmer's market? Have you ever had any problems with blight? Do you practice crop rotation?

We save a part of potatoes of previous crop so we don't buy it. We use it for planting next year. Of course, there are some bugs called colorado bugs, actually they came from Colorado. We spray on the bushes some chemicals in order to destroy the bugs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
No we don't. It won't help you. The potato's field should be left for ten or fifteen years if there some problems or bugs in the soil.

Wow, Rub! That is a very long time to have to wait to address such an issue. No wonder chemicals are king in commercial farming. It also explains why there are restrictions in some places about what you can and can not do in your own garden. I don't ever plan on growing potatoes on such a large scale, but it's good to know you've used seed saved from your own crops successfully.

Reaction score
What about sweet potatoes? I had a store-bought one soaking in water as an experiment and it began to sprout (before I ate it :)) .. I know that most storebought food won't grow (potatoes, garlic) unless organic/untreated, but I wonder about sweet potatoes since I did get one to start growing?

Or I'll just get seed taters. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
What about sweet potatoes? I had a store-bought one soaking in water as an experiment and it began to sprout (before I ate it :)) .. I know that most storebought food won't grow (potatoes, garlic) unless organic/untreated, but I wonder about sweet potatoes since I did get one to start growing?

Or I'll just get seed taters. :)

My grandfather grew up in the country and they grew sweet potatoes from the slips (the vines that grow out of the potato when it starts to sprout). You can cut the slips and root them in water. For decades people have done this and used the vines as houseplants and groundcover. I doubt they would have done so if disease was an issue.

Ask a Question